Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've read that there are three possible routes for the first year
    CS1P/CS1Q, CS1CT/CS1PX/CS1S or CS1CT/CSPX/CS1Q
    Can anyone advise me on what route to take, I have some programming experience in C# but I'm not sure if it is enough, is the difference between the routes huge

ReputationRep:
    I'll be starting CompSci this year too at UoG, I've been to a couple of open days so far and as far as I'm aware there are only 2 routes.

1) Prior programming experience
    2) No prior programming experience.

If you have a fair grasp of C# you might be fine going with option 1. With that being said I asked one of the lecturers, if for example I learned python throughout the summer holiday and became comfortable with it, would she recommended going with option 1? Surprisingly she actually said that would be a bad idea and it'd probably be best to start from scratch. Most likely due to picking up bad habits while self-studying I'd imagine. After the first 6 months of the "easy" option I was told you should be caught up with the other class though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.