Turn on thread page Beta

Home Affairs - Education - State schools watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    do you think private schools should be abolished to spread wealth out over state schools so 'poorer' children can get the same chance of a better education?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historyhoney)
    do you think private schools should be abolished to spread wealth out over state schools so 'poorer' children can get the same chance of a better education?
    how can you spread the wealth? public state schools are funded by tax ¬_¬

ReputationRep:
    I say bring back the Grammar Schools. Why were they ever abolished in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    I say bring back the Grammar Schools. Why were they ever abolished in the first place?
    it was deemed unfair and elitist

ReputationRep:
    HELLLOOOOO..... They have not been abolished. If u actually have a brain cell or two then u can take entrance exams into some of the top state schools and grammar schools in the country, hence giving u a totally equal if not superior education to those in public schools....... whether or not u go to public school does not determine ur grades and intelligence - if u atually have perserverance and determination you should do well neway.

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on, rich kids aren't going to go to your 25% A*-C schools, they'd go to the best schools if you abolished private schools.

ReputationRep:
    By "wealth" do you mean intellectual wealth? If you mean financial wealth (of which, incidentally, there is a lot less than the anti-private-school lobby would make out) then it would be a crime similar to Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries.

I feel the argument you propose is analogous to the idea that British people should deliberately starve themselves on the grounds that there are people in some parts of the world who don't have enough to eat and thus it is unfair that we have more.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think u understood my point.... rich kids go to independent school so they can be with other rich kids... not because it gives them some kind of unfair advantage. At the end of the day if you are intelligent enough, you will get the grades whereever u go and suceed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masiftinkerbell)
    HELLLOOOOO..... They have not been abolished. If u actually have a brain cell or two then u can take entrance exams into some of the top state schools and grammar schools in the country, hence giving u a totally equal if not superior education to those in public schools....... whether or not u go to public school does not determine ur grades and intelligence - if u atually have perserverance and determination you should do well neway.
    There are many areas which have no grammar schools though.

ReputationRep:
    so u slog it off and get the grades in state school.... its not that hard

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is.

ReputationRep:
    hehe, sorry, I was delibratly general in my first comments so that a wide ideas could be taken. In my view (having a parent working at a private school and me going to a state school) I have witnessed that private school have a lot more then state schools - they have more dedicated teachers and more extra-curricular activites, by wealth I kinda meant knowledge more then finacial couse I know private schools can be poorer, but I see time and time again the usless teachers I have in my school where quite frankly my brother or sister knows more then them! Yet I cant go to private because of the money, and I think I would get a 'better' education because, and please dont tear me apart if you have witnessed something else, but I see the teachers are more educated, and more usfeful in teachings, give your views, although please dont be nasty!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Yes it is.
    I second that btw, with some of the teachers at my school, I'm amazed anyone can get an A* yet we are considered an 'inner state school' so dont get the summer schools others do

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, whilst all the other kids beat the crap out of you for being a 'know it all'! And the teachers, who change more often than the boyfriends of your peers, barely know the syllabus! And your class is so disruptive that even if the teacher does know a bit about the subject he/she can’t impart this knowledge on the willing few.

But hey! You are ~superteenager~ from a deprived background, and even when your family bully you for spending weekends and evenings in the library and not in a part time job earning money to deck yourself out in Mosh and Nike, or ''MCin' '' and ''graffin' '' like ''normal kids'' and you can't relate to your shallow non-studious peers you don’t feel desperately lonely and change to try to fit in.
    No, you have ''perserverance and determination'' which you, unlike other deprived kids in your 'hood, were magically endowed with (WOW! you are truly magical because normally children have ''perseverance and determination'' instilled in them by good role models, of which you have none, and good parenting and/ or teaching, of which you were deprived too). No, you just ''slog it off'' and not only teach yourself independently from the (highly impressionable) age of 14 (for GCSEs) or maybe even younger (for SATs). And some how you emerge with the same grades as your public school and good state school peers without encouraging parents and teachers, spoon-feeding, academic environment and tutors.

''its not that hard'' - YEAH RIGHT masiftinkerbell! It is not like that in the real world. It is unlikely that you will have determination and perseverance instilled in you in an average state school. And even if you have it, it will soon be bullied out of you (unless you are really lucky and someone takes you under their wing).

ReputationRep:
    that reminds me to the last few days of school, or was it weeks, paper aroplanes, slime in water squirters, me getting laughed at every time I asked a question or tried to find out what homeowork i missed... need I continue becasue there more in the easy life

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently at 6th at a grammar school, however i was previously at a state school.
    I feel that the difference between the 2 is so shocking i can hardly believe it.
    It a simple case of money, my old state school was in my eyes class, there we're so many different areas of people, all generally from a working class back ground.
    The teaching was better as the concentration was on the individual not the class as a simple statistic.

Where as now its money money money, lexus, beemers ferraris mercs, the lot.
    The majority of kids dont understand slang and common talk.
    the teachers treat you as a simple number and do not care about helping student individually and do not want to know if you dont get a's or b's.
    I know for a fact that these people shall be those who grow up with cotton wool wrapped round them and one day something will happen that is not in a text book or something you can pay.
    then where sall they be?

Simple, Abolish them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    They're not all abolished. I go to one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blood & Honour)
    I'm currently at 6th at a grammar school, however i was previously at a state school.
    I feel that the difference between the 2 is so shocking i can hardly believe it.
    It a simple case of money, my old state school was in my eyes class, there we're so many different areas of people, all generally from a working class back ground.
    The teaching was better as the concentration was on the individual not the class as a simple statistic.

Where as now its money money money, lexus, beemers ferraris mercs, the lot.
    The majority of kids dont understand slang and common talk.
    the teachers treat you as a simple number and do not care about helping student individually and do not want to know if you dont get a's or b's.
    I know for a fact that these people shall be those who grow up with cotton wool wrapped round them and one day something will happen that is not in a text book or something you can pay.
    then where sall they be?

Simple, Abolish them!

I'm confused. A grammar school IS a state school

ReputationRep:
    Ohh please do not deck this forum out with pathetic excuses as to why state school students cannot perform as well as their independent school counterparts. Having got friends in many state schools I seriously do not think that your argument is at all valid. If you have grown up in an environment where life might be a little bit more difficult then you also learn to become a stronger person and overcome those problems. Do you not think that bullying and similar problems take place in independent schools? GCSEs are piss easy... I was talking about a levels... and if you have any reasonable level of commitment then you will work out what is on your syllabus, get a book and teach yourself if it is, as you say, so so bad in state schools and the teachers are craper then the pupils..... hmmmm, highly doubtful but ok. Yes some state schools may be bad, but the motivation of moving onto uni and being surrounded by people who are also willing to study and work hard should get you through it. If you genuinely have a desire to study and achieve good grades then this, in my opinion, is achievable. You make state schools out to be like prisons and they simply aren't.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh please do not deck this forum out with pathetic excuses as to why state school students cannot perform as well as their independent school counterparts. Having got friends in many state schools I seriously do not think that your argument is at all valid. If you have grown up in an environment where life might be a little bit more difficult then you also learn to become a stronger person and overcome those problems. Do you not think that bullying and similar problems take place in independent schools? GCSEs are piss easy... I was talking about a levels... and if you have any reasonable level of commitment then you will work out what is on your syllabus, get a book and teach yourself if it is, as you say, so so bad in state schools and the teachers are craper then the pupils..... hmmmm, highly doubtful but ok. Yes some state schools may be bad, but the motivation of moving onto uni and being surrounded by people who are also willing to study and work hard should get you through it. If you genuinely have a desire to study and achieve good grades then this, in my opinion, is achievable. You make state schools out to be like prisons and they simply aren't.
    Because you know people in state schools does not mean you know the extent to which they can be dreadful. You're talking about Alevels and I don't think you appreciate that intelligent people often won't make it to alevels because they're in such crud schools.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.