Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you get over the regret of not applying to Oxbridge? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know it sounds silly and completely banal but I just can't stop kicking myself for missing the deadline. I got into an okay university but I just don't feel completely satisfied..

It's all my fault, I know, but the regrets and what ifs won't get out of my mind.

I really hate this and used to scoff at people who felt like this in the past but now I just don't know what to do.

Any advice?

(Not going to actually reapply because I've already taken a gap year)

ReputationRep:
    At least you weren't rejected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confusedschubert)
    I know it sounds silly and completely banal but I just can't stop kicking myself for missing the deadline. I got into an okay university but I just don't feel completely satisfied..

It's all my fault, I know, but the regrets and what ifs won't get out of my mind.

I really hate this and used to scoff at people who felt like this in the past but now I just don't know what to do.

Any advice?

after your degree you could always apply to do a post grad so maybe one day you'll eventually get into oxbridge ... other than that just focus on getting a good degree ranking
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

Any advice?

You were on a gap year and missed the deadline. You don't want to re-apply (although you certainly could - it's not compulsory to go to uni aged only 18 or 19).

So either re-apply or move on.

And if Oxbridge still holds some kind of attraction in 3 years time (which it probably won't), apply there for postgrad.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well there isn't too much of a gap between Oxbridge and the likes of Imperial and LSE.

And even top 10 universities offer great graduate prospects so all is not lost. You've still got a bright future ahead of you :yep:

And yes it beats being rejected :emo: That got to me a fair bit initially but I'm ok now that I've got a PG place
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    It's okay they're not that good anyway

ReputationRep:

Any advice?

If you're not going to reapply then you don't want it enough. Embrace that and move on with your life.

ReputationRep:

Any advice?

LSE is by no means 'an okay university'. It is an excellent university. Your angst appears to be causing you to distort the truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    You were on a gap year and missed the deadline. You don't want to re-apply (although you certainly could - it's not compulsory to go to uni aged only 18 or 19).

So either re-apply or move on.

And if Oxbridge still holds some kind of attraction in 3 years time (which it probably won't), apply there for postgrad.
    Do you think the admissions team would be considerably more harsh on someone who's reapplying, after applying during a gap year; as they're 2 years older than most applicants and could have spent that time strengthening their skills for interview?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Alex621)
    Do you think the admissions team would be considerably more harsh on someone who's reapplying, after applying during a gap year; as they're 2 years older than most applicants and could have spent that time strengthening their skills for interview?
    They aren't trying to be harsh. They are just trying to find students they think will be an academically good fit.

Of course they may expect a little more maturity from a slightly older applicant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    LSE is by no means 'an okay university'. It is an excellent university. Your angst appears to be causing you to distort the truth.
    Not sure the OP actually mentioned LSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not sure the OP actually mentioned LSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They said they had firmed for Law at LSE in April:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=64430757

ReputationRep:

Any advice?

Because I know Oxbridge is everything I DON'T want from a university. That's how I don't regret it in the slightest
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    They said they had firmed for Law at LSE in April:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=64430757
    Ah!

OP - enjoy LSE...

ReputationRep:
    Ah!

OP - enjoy LSE...
    Digging, digging, digging...

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, thanks for the comments. Hearing all this from someone other than myself really helped me put a better perspective on things!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.