Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long does it take to get over someone? Watch

Recently broke up with someone (about a week) and he says he's over it but I don't think I am and he wants to be friends but I don't think I'm ready even though I do want that in the future. How long does it normally take??
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    This really varies from person to person, no one can give you an answer, I'm afraid do your best to take your mind off it all!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Took me my whole life.

https://media.giphy.com/media/10osIL...facebook_s.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Trust me on this one- getting a new hobby and keeping yourself busy will speed up this horrible process. Go to a gym, start running, do yoga, learn to code, buy a keyboard and teach yourself on youtube, eat right, maybe change your diet around to try cool new foods, just do absolutely anything and this time next year you'll be back to your normal self completely. It's a tough time and everyone should understand you if you isolate yourself for now- keep telling yourself YOU are the only person you need right now! It can take a month, years, weeks- depends on you my friend

ReputationRep:
    Honestly every relationship takes a different amount of time to get over depending on how emotionally invested you were among other things. It took me about a month before I could talk to my most recent ex again without feeling like I wanted to cry or it was awkward or anything and after that it felt a lil bit strange at first but we're good friends again now!! Just give it some time and there's nothing wrong with asking them for some space for a lil bit, they'll understand

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Any time from a few days to a few years, pretty much.

ReputationRep:
    Don't revisit this thread, burn all his stuff and block him - chances are you wont get over him. Muhahahahahaha, jkjk be optimistic you're a very strong woman don't let any person get you down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Recently broke up with someone (about a week) and he says he's over it but I don't think I am and he wants to be friends but I don't think I'm ready even though I do want that in the future. How long does it normally take??
    http://www.mememaker.net/static/imag...es/3831047.jpg

ReputationRep:
    They say it takes half the time you were together to get over someone, i.e. 2 years together means it will take 1 year to get over them.

I doubt its true as everyone is different

I was with someone for 4/5 years and it took about a year to get to the point where it no longer hurt (with no contact of course)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    he says he's over it but I don't think I am and he wants to be friends but I don't think I'm ready
    Impossible to say how long, particularly given the lack of info, but check these pro-tips, famalam:

• Engage emotionally | [/B]Let yourself grieve the loss of the partner/relationship. This is only natural vs. unnatural to repress it

• Acceptance | If it's ended then it's likely because you are not 'supposed to be together' e.g. at least one of you isn't right for the other

• Forgive and forget | Not always possible but almost always healthy to use the experience as an opportunity to show dignity/humanity

• No contact rule | Depending on the nature of breakup, it's often a good idea to give them/yourself some space, for a while at least

• Out of sight, out of mind | Depending on how emotionally vulnerable/insecure one is, it can be helpful to remove all traces of one's ex

• Watch out for manipulation | Human nature being as it is, it's rare for young people to make a totally clean break. Don't get sucked into games

• Avoid revenge mentality | Apart from anything else this is a total waste of energy and you risk losing the moral high ground if things get petty

• Listen to your gut | Also listen to reason e.g. consider patterns of behaviour over time, rather than just salient events/your own insecurities

• Staying friends | See above comments - few can hack it but in certain circumstances it can actually be healthy/helpful to stay on friendly terms

• Be around people | Also busy yourself, and do reach out to dependable friends and family who can support you as you bounce back

• Time heals all | What seems like the end of the world one week can be just a drop in the ocean the next. Life goes on

• Avoid alcohol/substance abuse | This is unlikely to bring you either physical or psychological stability, which is just what you need!

• Talk to other potentials | When you're ready (not if you're still full of angst/in a beta or 'victim complex' mindset)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.