The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Ffs some women can be so catty when it comes to weddings. Browse any wedding forum and all you read is "if you don't wear white, you'll look tacky as hell", "themed weddings are pathetic", " there's no point in having a wedding if you don't plan to invite 200+ people" and crap like that. You are entitled to have an opinion on everything but telling someone that their big day is tacky or deemed to fail from the get go just because its not something you would go for is nasty. Makes you wonder what happened at their own wedding that has made them so bitter about people having fun and making their own decisions about their own day :laugh:

I've just been browsing so far but I should make a post with my own plans which are to wear purple instead of white, have a cat theme and only have 20/30 guests. That'll go down well :tongue: :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
I'm getting married in Jan 2019, so 2 and a half years away. Its too early to order a dress as knowing me I'll gain weight or change my mind on a dress but one thing I have said for years is that I wouldn't wear a white, ivory or cream dress. I personally don't feel like I would suit those colours so I'm going to go for a purple dress, especially as it'll match my partner's purple kilt. Been having a look at some dresses online lately to get a rough idea on what kind of design of dress and shade of purple I'd be looking for and also at prices. Found a few nice ones so far :h:

So just wondering if any of you girls have thought about what you would ever wear? Coloured wedding dresses seem to be coming a trend now. I did go through my phase of wanting a black wedding dress when I was in my emo days back when I was about 14 but I am out of that now :laugh::colondollar:

Sorry, only just seen this thread, hence only replying now.

I don't intend on ever getting married but if I did, I don't think I'd wear white either. What if your period started that day, or you dropped food sauces on it?!?! :eek: (Well most people wouldn't but knowing my luck, that's what'd happen to me :colondollar: )

If I were to get married, I think I'd wear a bright pink saree with loads of bling on it. Or maybe start off in a white saree for the church but then change into the pink for the reception. Can't be wearing white all day.

Don't let anyone tell you what/what not to wear - it's your big day and the hope is of course you'd only get married once, so it's important to do it your way :h:
Reply 102
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Sorry, only just seen this thread, hence only replying now.

I don't intend on ever getting married but if I did, I don't think I'd wear white either. What if your period started that day, or you dropped food sauces on it?!?! :eek: (Well most people wouldn't but knowing my luck, that's what'd happen to me :colondollar: )

If I were to get married, I think I'd wear a bright pink saree with loads of bling on it. Or maybe start off in a white saree for the church but then change into the pink for the reception. Can't be wearing white all day.

Don't let anyone tell you what/what not to wear - it's your big day and the hope is of course you'd only get married once, so it's important to do it your way :h:

PRSOM
Knowing my luck something like that would happen to me too :laugh:

a bright pink saree sounds lovely for you :h: very jazzy :love:

Everyone at my wedding is wearing something cat themed, even just a little cat brooch will do :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
PRSOM
Knowing my luck something like that would happen to me too :laugh:

a bright pink saree sounds lovely for you :h: very jazzy :love:

Everyone at my wedding is wearing something cat themed, even just a little cat brooch will do :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rrXR6n0RTY

:colondollar:

#SozNotSoz :ninja:
Reply 104

:laugh: :laugh:

That should be me and Callan's wedding song :wink: :colondollar:
:laugh: :laugh:

That should be me and Callan's wedding song :wink: :colondollar:

Do it!!! :colone:

:angel:
Ffs some women can be so catty when it comes to weddings. Browse any wedding forum and all you read is "if you don't wear white, you'll look tacky as hell", "themed weddings are pathetic", " there's no point in having a wedding if you don't plan to invite 200+ people" and crap like that. You are entitled to have an opinion on everything but telling someone that their big day is tacky or deemed to fail from the get go just because its not something you would go for is nasty. Makes you wonder what happened at their own wedding that has made them so bitter about people having fun and making their own decisions about their own day :laugh:

I've just been browsing so far but I should make a post with my own plans which are to wear purple instead of white, have a cat theme and only have 20/30 guests. That'll go down well :tongue: :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please do it! What silly remarks. Nothing wrong with any colour dress or amount of guests.... Or cat themed wedding for that matter haha. If I ever get married I want a really REALLY small ceremony, maybe 20 people and then slightly larger reception but still under 50 guests - and I don't want most of the traditions (bridesmaids, father walking down isle, first dance, male only speeches etc). I hate it when people won't accept that everyone has a different vision for a wedding, that's the whole point it's YOURS and your husbands days... Not theirs!!
Reply 107
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Please do it! What silly remarks. Nothing wrong with any colour dress or amount of guests.... Or cat themed wedding for that matter haha. If I ever get married I want a really REALLY small ceremony, maybe 20 people and then slightly larger reception but still under 50 guests - and I don't want most of the traditions (bridesmaids, father walking down isle, first dance, male only speeches etc). I hate it when people won't accept that everyone has a different vision for a wedding, that's the whole point it's YOURS and your husbands days... Not theirs!!
I'll make a post tonight on the wedding forum and I'll update this thread with what they say. I've seen them moaning at people who are only having a small wedding with ten people, those who are only having the ceremony and no reception afterwards and even those who plan to write their own vows. You can't win with people like that :laugh: they are maybe bitter because they never had the guts to do what they truly wanted to do for their wedding, they were too scared of being judged for going against the expected tradition...or they could just be damn right nasty :laugh:

I agree with everything you say :h:
I wore white for the civil wedding and pink for church wedding. Wear whatever you're comfortable in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 109
I wrote a post in that wedding forum with my own wedding plans and the first reply I got was - "you are clearly a troll" :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think that white dresses are absolutely gorgeous and is universally flattering. If on the other hand, you want a bit of colour, opt for a cream, ivory or pastel coloured dress which would look equally beautiful. It is your special day, you deserve to shine and look the most beautiful.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88

I'll make a post tonight on the wedding forum and I'll update this thread with what they say. I've seen them moaning at people who are only having a small wedding with ten people, those who are only having the ceremony and no reception afterwards and even those who plan to write their own vows. You can't win with people like that :laugh: they are maybe bitter because they never had the guts to do what they truly wanted to do for their wedding, they were too scared of being judged for going against the expected tradition...or they could just be damn right nasty :laugh:

I agree with everything you say :h:

When I get married I don't want a "traditional" wedding either and when I've mentioned this to others they've said I was weird or selfish. My uncle and his wife had a very small ceremony (only had two guests who also acted as witnesses) and no reception and a lot of people in the family weren't happy about it. It's the couple's day so don't see why people are so quick to judge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 112
Original post by gemmam
When I get married I don't want a "traditional" wedding either and when I've mentioned this to others they've said I was weird or selfish. My uncle and his wife had a very small ceremony (only had two guests who also acted as witnesses) and no reception and a lot of people in the family weren't happy about it. It's the couple's day so don't see why people are so quick to judge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly. Some people seem to get offended almost when you go against the norms when it comes to weddings and they forget the fact that's its your day and nothing to do with them. My mum only had about 13 guests at her ceremony and meal and a lot of extended family such as cousin who she never sees or talks to and only has on FB, got so nasty and left her cheeky mails asking why they never got an invite and saying things like "so much for us being family" ffs. Its amazing how many 'family' members come crawling out the woodwork when there is a wedding or party going on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am interested in the traditional Asian wedding dresses as they would look amasing as I have tried some of them in shops and many people have commented I look "sexy" in them .
However I would wear a white wedding dress because I like the whole feeling of it and of being elegant and posh , also I have been to wedding dress shops and I have tried various types and all of them have suited me very well , as of the customers and staff comments . :wink:
Reply 114
I really like this wedding dresses

Reply 115
I think coloured dresses are awesome! If you like it then that's all that matters. There are some really beautiful coloured dresses and it's your special day so wear what makes you happy. Don't feel like you have to stay with a traditional white dress.
Reply 117
Original post by anojan

I love the second red dress :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anojan

I love them , they look so nice :wink:
I personally would either wear a navy dress or a black one.

Latest