Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    learning C1 atm and the text book doesnt really go into details about writing equation using indices -_-

why does 6/x² become 6x⁻²
    and why does 3/2x^-1/2 become 3/2√4

(so sorry for the second one, im not familiar with making the -1/2 on computer )

ReputationRep:
    x^(-n) = 1/(x^n). The - in a power makes it the denominator. The number in front of the x values isn't affected because you are multiplying the function of x^-n by that value.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Here's the picture to make it more clear

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    learning C1 atm and the text book doesnt really go into details about writing equation using indices -_-

why does 6/x² become 6x⁻²
    and why does 3/2x^-1/2 become 3/2√4

(so sorry for the second one, im not familiar with making the -1/2 on computer )
    Well by definition x^{-n} = \frac{1}{x^n}, that's something you just have to learn. So \frac{6}{x^2}=6 \times \frac{1}{x^2} = 6x^{-2}. Using the exact same reasoning, \frac{3}{2}x^{-\frac{1}{2}}=\frac{3}{2}\times \frac{1}{x^{\frac{1}{2}}} = \frac{3}{2} \times \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} = \frac{3}{2\sqrt{x}}
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Well by definition x^{-n} = \frac{1}{x^n}, that's something you just have to learn. So \frac{6}{x^2}=6 \times \frac{1}{x^2} = 6x^{-2}. Using the exact same reasoning, \frac{3}{2}x^{-\frac{1}{2}}=\frac{3}{2}\times \frac{1}{x^{\frac{1}{2}}} = \frac{3}{2} \times \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} = \frac{3}{2\sqrt{x}}
     x*\frac{1}{x}=1 and similarly,  x*x^{-1}=x^1x^{-1}=x^{(1-1)}=x^0=1 therefore x*\frac{1}{x}=x*x^{-1} ; divide both sides by x, \frac{1}{x}=x^{-1}
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    x^(-n) = 1/(x^n). The - in a power makes it the denominator. The number in front of the x values isn't affected because you are multiplying the function of x^-n by that value.
    Well by definition x^{-n} = \frac{1}{x^n}, that's something you just have to learn. So \frac{6}{x^2}=6 \times \frac{1}{x^2} = 6x^{-2}. Using the exact same reasoning, \frac{3}{2}x^{-\frac{1}{2}}</b>=\frac{3}{2}\times \frac{1}{x^{\frac{1}{2}}} = \frac{3}{2} \times \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} = \frac{3}{2\sqrt{x}}
    thanks, i stared at this for 5 minutes and finally got it

would u say 3/2x ^ -1/2 is the hardest i'll get?

ReputationRep:

It'll be harder in exams but you will have a while to practice it. You can get stuff like -4/3.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It'll be harder in exams but you will have a while to practice it. You can get stuff like -4/3.
    to the power of -4/3?

so i would cube root it and raise it to power of 4 but only for x, not the number before it as it's unaffected by the power? am i right?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

No, but these things will get a lot easier over time as you get used to them
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, but these things will get a lot easier over time as you get used to them
    how do you remember it? do you write notes about little things like this or do you just do questions on it to let it sink in? i feel like i shouldnt study maths like i would with history with tons of notes and stuff
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    to the power of -4/3?

so i would cube root it and raise it to power of 4 but only for x, not the number before it as it's unaffected by the power? am i right?
    Well first you would flip it to be 1 over that number raised to the 4/3 (we call this to be the reciprocal). Then you cube root that number while raising it to the 4th power.

Alternatively, after you take the reciprocal, you can split the 4/3 into 1+1/3 and think of that power as a sum, hence you can separate the variable using laws of indices.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    how do you remember it? do you write notes about little things like this or do you just do questions on it to let it sink in? i feel like i shouldnt study maths like i would with history with tons of notes and stuff
    You will do loads of questions. Practice makes perfect. After GCSE maths and 2 A-Level maths subjects, I can safely say I never looked back on my books in terms of notes unless it is a subject I'm really not confident on. You just practice loads of questions and it sinks in.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Well first you would flip it to be 1 over that number raised to the 4/3 (we call this to be the reciprocal). Then you cube root that number while raising it to the 4th power.

Alternatively, after you take the reciprocal, you can split the 4/3 into 1+1/3 and think of that power as a sum, hence you can separate this using laws of indices.
    that made more sense to me :hoppy:

ReputationRep:
    to the power of -4/3?

You would put it as the denominator first so then its to the power of 4/3, then get the value to the power of 4 and then cube root that. You won't necessarily have to always find a value of x to a power with this stuff.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Lots, and lots, and lots of practice.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You would put it as the denominator first so then its to the power of 4/3, then get the value to the power of 4 and then cube root that. You won't necessarily have to always find a value of x to a power with this stuff.
    Lots, and lots, and lots of practice.
    thanks, i think i can finally move on from indices now
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    that made more sense to me :hoppy:
    Also you should note that the order in which you perform the raise of power and the root is irrelevant. This is simply due to laws of indices.

(5^4)^\frac{1}{3} = (5^\frac{1}{3})^4 because they just multiply anyway by the laws of indices.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 29, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.