Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it possible to reach high grades without attending school in your last year? watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've sat all of my GCSE exams now, and, because I am anxious about my results, I was wondering, is it possible to achieve high grades without the education in the final years of school.
    Up until Year 10, I had around 100% attendance however, because of anxiety, I haven't attended school regularly since the start of year 10. The last time I ever sat in a lesson was November last year.
    Now, I know the question I'm asking is subjective to intelligence and other aspects such as how much effort a person has put in, so I'll provide that information, in the most non biased way I can.
    I studied hard for every one of my exams, except I am a crammer, so I ended up cramming most of the information in the night before the exam.
    All my target grades are B's, and I have always hit target grades and overachieved in areas such as English and Biology and Chemistry.

I only sat my core subjects because of coursework issues with my other subjects. Bearing all of this in mind, in my case do you think it's possible to achieve high grades?

(By "high grades" I mean B and above)

(Original post by fayecrystalsmith)
    So I've sat all of my GCSE exams now, and, because I am anxious about my results, I was wondering, is it possible to achieve high grades without the education in the final years of school.
    Up until Year 10, I had around 100% attendance however, because of anxiety, I haven't attended school regularly since the start of year 10. The last time I ever sat in a lesson was November last year.
    Now, I know the question I'm asking is subjective to intelligence and other aspects such as how much effort a person has put in, so I'll provide that information, in the most non biased way I can.
    I studied hard for every one of my exams, except I am a crammer, so I ended up cramming most of the information in the night before the exam.
    All my target grades are B's, and I have always hit target grades and overachieved in areas such as English and Biology and Chemistry.

I only sat my core subjects because of coursework issues with my other subjects. Bearing all of this in mind, in my case do you think it's possible to achieve high grades?

Hi, I had a critical illness which meant that I missed the second half of year 10 and first half of year 11. I still sat my exams with the rest of my cohort (though I only did 8 GCSEs) and came out with a full set of A*s so yes, it can be done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fayecrystalsmith)

Most definitely. As long as you taught yourself everything you needed to know then there's no reason why you shouldn't get high grades. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult but achievable. It won't happen at a-level tho, so you'll need to start finding solutions to your terrible illness ASAP

ReputationRep:
    As long as you worked hard when you're not at school I would say you have a better chance at doing well than being at school. Learning things on your own is much better I feel.

ReputationRep:
    The exact same happened to me, I stopped going to school in October and just didn't do anything but the night before my exams I crammed alot of revision in, but I'm not sure if I will achieve Bs or above, I guess we will just wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    Hi, I had a critical illness which meant that I missed the second half of year 10 and first half of year 11. I still sat my exams with the rest of my cohort (though I only did 8 GCSEs) and came out with a full set of A*s so yes, it can be done.
    Kudos! My best mate was stoned and pretty much turned up to every lesson lost or confused for 5 years. Come exam season, he knew everything. Walked out with 10 A*s at GCSE and 3A*s at A level. I loved his attitude, it drove the school nuts as he defied their model pupil conception.

He'll probably get a Nobel one day for discovering something new given his obsession with mixing every known substance to man in Chem lessons :')

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.