Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,
    So, Bristol´s always been my first choice in the UK. I finished the IB Diploma Programme last year and got better-than-required grades and all, but I didn´t apply for 2016 entry because I was too busy.

I want to apply for 2017 entry, but since there´s a whole year in between, my parents suggested I start a Medicine course in my country (Peru).

Still hoping to apply to Bristol, I emailed them about the UKCAT exam (as my country has no testing centers). I wondered whether they would make me travel to another country in order to take it, as it´s a requirement. In the email I mentioned I was studying Medicine here.

In their reply, all they told me was that they would not consider students who had begun studying Medicine elsewhere.

I find thisvery depressing, I mean, if I were studying elsewhere in the UK I´d understand... but
    1) It´s a foreign country
    2) The Medicine course is structured in a completely different way
    3) The classes I am taking here are basically A-Level/IB style school-ish courses

What should I do?

Thanks in advance.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lyan.chs14)
    Hey everyone,
    So, Bristol´s always been my first choice in the UK. I finished the IB Diploma Programme last year and got better-than-required grades and all, but I didn´t apply for 2016 entry because I was too busy.

I want to apply for 2017 entry, but since there´s a whole year in between, my parents suggested I start a Medicine course in my country (Peru).

Still hoping to apply to Bristol, I emailed them about the UKCAT exam (as my country has no testing centers). I wondered whether they would make me travel to another country in order to take it, as it´s a requirement. In the email I mentioned I was studying Medicine here.

In their reply, all they told me was that they would not consider students who had begun studying Medicine elsewhere.

I find thisvery depressing, I mean, if I were studying elsewhere in the UK I´d understand... but
    3) The classes I am taking here are basically A-Level/IB style school-ish courses

What should I do?

Thanks in advance.
    Sadly the rules on this are very strict, if you are in a medical course anywhere in the world most UK medical schools will not accept an application from you. the only way that you will be considered for admission is if you are not in a medical programme in peru currently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyan.chs14)
    Hey everyone,

What should I do?

Thanks in advance.
    I think if you don't tell them you are currenlty studying medicine, just saying that you are taking a gap year, maybe they will allow that?
    I am not pretty sure how it works, but all the best to your application!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.