Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can your cars interior light drain your battery? watch

ReputationRep:
    If the ignition is off but your light switch above your head is on, will that drain the cars battery or does the interior light have its own set of batteries?? Please bear in mind im not talking about the headlights. I mean the light switch usually located above the drivers head. Thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's coming from the main car battery. 10 minutes after a journey isn't going to hurt a healthy battery at all, leaving them on all night might cause trouble if your battery is already semi knackered but tbh people used to leave 'parking lights' on all night and still get a start in the morning and that was 2 bulbs the same power as 1 interior light.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabrinaa1234)
    If the ignition is off but your light switch above your head is on, will that drain the cars battery or does the interior light have its own set of batteries?? Please bear in mind im not talking about the headlights. I mean the light switch usually located above the drivers head. Thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mine definitely does if left overnight

ReputationRep:
    I've left one of my doors "on the latch" before, closed but open enough for the interior light to be on. *Came back the next morning to a flat battery. *

I've changed all the interior lights, boot light, glove box light, and puddle lights to LEDs on my current car. *So much brighter and much lower current draw. **
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sabrinaa1234)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes it can happen.
    I know from experience. It happened to my car about 3 months ago.

ReputationRep:
    As said, yes
    But your battery must be near knackered.

A common issue is the boot light as if the switch fails, it can be on for days and the driver doesn't know.

ReputationRep:
    Ask my wife: she leaves our van doors open all night and that's three lights. Overnight is fine. Go on a 2 week holiday and your battery will be flat when you get back.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.