Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think of Angela Eagle? Can she Beat Corbyn? watch

ReputationRep:
    I believe she would lose , not only badly, but embarrassingly. I am joining the PLP, and will get as many others to just to vote for Corbyn.

1. Voted against the Chilcot enquiry, i.e an investigative report into potential crimes of the Iraq war.

2. Voted to raise tuition fee's.

3. Voted for the Iraq war.

4. Voted to Bomb Syria.

And ofcourse , have a look at her two faced comments about Jeremy Corbyn:

ReputationRep:
    Do you honestly think Corbyn can win a general election?

(Original post by JamesN88)
    Do you honestly think Corbyn can win a general election?
    I do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kryptonian)
    I do
    He only preaches to the converted. You need to build bridges with people to win an election, not alienate them.

ReputationRep:
    I believe she is an insidious little wretched toad. I hope Corbyn stomps all over her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    I believe she is an insidious little wretched toad. I hope Corbyn stomps all over her
    You've never struck me a a Corbynite.

He only preaches to the converted. You need to build bridges with people to win an election, not alienate them.
    Preaches to the converted? He is a politician btw.
    We don't need to build bridges? What are you talking about??
    Well he doesn't alienate people, he stands up for them so that's a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kryptonian)
    Preaches to the converted? He is a politician btw.
    We don't need to build bridges? What are you talking about??
    Well he doesn't alienate people, he stands up for them so that's a good thing.
    I'm talking about appealing to the wider electorate which he doesn't do. You can't win without getting middle England onside.

A prime example of him alienating people was one of his speeches after the result last week. Rather than acknowledge the concerns of Northern voters and their reasons for backing leave he just implied they were ignorant and didn't understand diversity.

You can't stand up for anyone with a Tory majority in power. They pay zero attention to the protest groups who pitch up outside their offices.

ReputationRep:
    You've never struck me a a Corbynite.
    Ha im not but I cant stand Angela Eagle and pretty much every labour MP. Awful people.. at least Corbyn offers something different . Choice is good in politics imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Ha im not but I cant stand Angela Eagle and pretty much every labour MP. Awful people.. at least Corbyn offers something different . Choice is good in politics imo
    I suppose he is a trustworthy politician, two words that don't normally go together.

ReputationRep:
    It looks increasingly likely that it will actually be Owen Smith who is the agreed candidate. He's genuinely a good guy, Welsh from a working class background (his dad was a coal miner). He's highly intelligent and comes across very well on TV. He also wasn't in parliament when the Iraq War vote happened (unlike Angela Eagle).

Angela Eagle, by contrast, has all the charisma of a traffic cone. She went to pieces on the day of the no confidence vote, and was crying during that meeting and then on air both on TV and radio when being interviewed. Can you really imagine someone that lacking in robustness being given control of the nuclear launch codes? Her peck peck peck tactics might go down well in the Commons as she does get ministers on the run during questions but outside the Commons the only advantage she has is that she's not Corbyn (and I suppose she is basically competent and intelligent, unlike Corbyn. But we need someone people will actually be drawn to)

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking about appealing to the wider electorate which he doesn't do. You can't win without getting middle England onside.

A prime example of him alienating people was one of his speeches after the result last week. Rather than acknowledge the concerns of Northern voters and their reasons for backing leave he just implied they were ignorant and didn't understand diversity.
    Well said. He's also either a complete moron or highly dishonest (or both) given during the EU referendum he had planned to go to Turkey to make a speech calling for Turkey to be allowed to join. Given that was such a big bone of contention and a fear people had, that was truly an insane move (unless he wanted to sabotage the leave campaign, in which case it would be shrewd though extremely dishonourable)

He also said during the referendum campaign that there should be no limits to immigration, again playing right into the hands of the Leave campaign

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tawheed)
    1. Voted against the Chilcot enquiry, i.e an investigative report into potential crimes of the Iraq war.

2. Voted to raise tuition fee's.

4. Voted to Bomb Syria.:
    Normal people are really not completely obsessed by Iraq in the way fellow travellers and pro-terrorist advocates are. The hard left obsession with an event 12 years ago over practical everyday concerns shows why Corbyn is completely unsuited to leadership.

By the way, there are huge numbers of moderate pro-Remain voters who will pour into the Labour Party to vote against Corbyn. The moderates have access to the Labour Remain campaigns voter database, and Labour-supporting billionaires will provide funding. Many people who voted for Corbyn last time are saying now that they just don't think he can win

If Corbyn wins then the PLP will split anyway and become the official opposition as they will have 176 MPs to Corbyn's 36 (if that), which means Corbyn will be ignored and forgotten as he will have no power and no platform. Then the PLP will re-merge with the Labour Party after they get rid of Corbyn, and people like you can go back to supporting the SWP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tawheed)
    Also, aren't you a bit of a hypocrite? It's obvious you're a Shi'a extremist and yet you're criticising the UK for taking part in an operation that liberated Iraq's Shi'a from the yoke of a violent, Sunni minority despotism.

It's quite funny how Shi'a militias in Iraq linked to the Iraqi government, which only exist because they were liberated by the US, also purport to despise the United States and claim that they wouldn't fight ISIS if the United States was involved (even though everyone knows that if the US hadn't stepped in Baghdad probably would have fallen in late 2014). The Iraqi Shi'a dominated government has been propped up at great expense by the West, and yet there is no gratitude.

These Shi'a extremist militias, from whom we heard not a peep during the Hussein years, suddenly tell the world they're real tough guys and they can manage without any outside help. I suppose this is the problem with rabid Iranian-sponsored Shi'a fundamentalism; it even attacks those that want to help their co-religionists. Thankfully the Iranian clerical regime is dying and probably has another 10 to 15 years of life left, at best.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    She might just beat Corbyn, she will probably do better in a general election but still lose it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have any reason to not like Corbyn?

(Original post by Thutmose-III)
    Normal people are really not completely obsessed by Iraq in the way fellow travellers and pro-terrorist advocates are. The hard left obsession with an event 12 years ago over practical everyday concerns shows why Corbyn is completely unsuited to leadership.

By the way, there are huge numbers of moderate pro-Remain voters who will pour into the Labour Party to vote against Corbyn. The moderates have access to the Labour Remain campaigns voter database, and Labour-supporting billionaires will provide funding. Many people who voted for Corbyn last time are saying now that they just don't think he can win

If Corbyn wins then the PLP will split anyway and become the official opposition as they will have 176 MPs to Corbyn's 36 (if that), which means Corbyn will be ignored and forgotten as he will have no power and no platform. Then the PLP will re-merge with the Labour Party after they get rid of Corbyn, and people like you can go back to supporting the SWP

ReputationRep:
    Just appeal to the regressive's. Your win any election then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thutmose-III)
    Also, aren't you a bit of a hypocrite? It's obvious you're a Shi'a extremist and yet you're criticising the UK for taking part in an operation that liberated Iraq's Shi'a from the yoke of a violent, Sunni minority despotism.
    At what cost ? All those lives lost, destabalizing Iraq on secterian and ethnic grounds, destabilising the the middle east? I have a habit where i don't feed into these secterian narratives. I don't call Saddam Hussain a Sunni. And i'm not buying into the fabricated 'sunni shia war'.

You might get plaudits from salafi-type shia haters for that kind of secterian criticism of me, but it does not take a shia or sunni to recognise what harms were caused by the Iraq war.

Indeed, many who are secular, humanists, no-religious and of other religions and persuasions were also strongly opposed to the Iraq War.

Eitherway, let us not derail this thread and focus on the topic: Angela Eagle.

ReputationRep:
    Rather than acknowledge the concerns of Northern voters and their reasons for backing leave he just implied they were ignorant and didn't understand diversity.
    But then he wouldn't be a proper Labour MP if he didn't do this......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    But then he wouldn't be a proper Labour MP if he didn't do this......
    Stop being racist.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.