Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Corbynites issue death threats to PLP members watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-after-refusa/

This isn't entirely surprising if you are familiar with what Corbynista are like online. And Corbyn absolutely promotes this kind of nonsense; after the PLP meeting on Monday he whipped up a rally in his honour where MPs were called "scum" who needed to be "eradicated". And this only two weeks after Jo Cox was murdered/.

Thankfully the Corbynista are on the way out. Owen Smith looks increasingly likely to be the agreed candidate, and even if Corbyn can get onto the ballot (which is an open question now), there has been a sea change in the membership. Anyone who is going to vote for Corbyn voted for him last time, whereas large numbers of people who voted for him have changed their minds and believe he is simply not up to the job.

The moderates have access to the Labour Remain campaigns voter database and will use it to target and recruit large numbers of £3 voters and new members to oppose Corbyn. There are likely to be many soft/liberal Tories who voted for Remain and other centrists who will be attracted to a Labour Party leadership election that gets rid of Corbyn, and will help to make that happen. Labour billionaires who have previously supported the party but stopped doing so under Corbyn because of his terrorist links will fund the moderate candidate.

And if in spite of all that Corbyn still wins, then the PLP moderates made up of 172 MPs to Corbyn's 40 MPs (at best, some of those who supported him in the no confidence ballot have changed their minds) will simply elect their own leader who will then become the official opposition leader. As Corbyn will have no platform, he will be forgotten. The trade unions will fear losing all influence if the Labour Party splits, and topple Corbyn, then the party can re-merge. I'm rather looking forward to the battle

ReputationRep:
    Who'd have thought Labour would be reduced to this kind of nonsense in the 21st century.

I thought we were rid of the Tories forever when Blair got in, now we appear to be stuck with them for eternity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Who'd have thought Labour would be reduced to this kind of nonsense in the 21st century.

I thought we were rid of the Tories forever when Blair got in, now we appear to be stuck with them for eternity.
    I'm more optimistic. Once Corbyn is toppled all of the Corbo-cultists will drift back to futile protest actions (well, to be honest they never stopped, but at least they will do it somewhere else).

I sense a great hunger for a sensible, pragmatic centre-left alternative to the Tories. The Tory government is not popular, what has kept them in power is the lack of a plausible alternative government. But after the Leave vote I think Labour could benefit in the same way the SNP benefited post-indyref... if they play their cards right and ensure that they are positioned to hoover up support from Remain-oriented votes (including soft/liberal Tories)

ReputationRep:
    So he's definitely stepping down then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thutmose-III)
    I'm more optimistic. Once Corbyn is toppled all of the Corbo-cultists will drift back to futile protest actions (well, to be honest they never stopped, but at least they will do it somewhere else).

I sense a great hunger for a sensible, pragmatic centre-left alternative to the Tories. The Tory government is not popular, what has kept them in power is the lack of a plausible alternative government. But after the Leave vote I think Labour could benefit in the same way the SNP benefited post-indyref... if they play their cards right and ensure that they are positioned to hoover up support from Remain-oriented votes (including soft/liberal Tories)
    I know a lot of them mean well but they're totally detached from reality.

Hopefully the Labour moderates unite behind one candidate otherwise it's pointless. Corbyn had 60% of the vote last time but I can see a lot of disaffected remainers ditching him now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    So he's definitely stepping down then?
    He's not going willingly so they're launching a leadership challenge against him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    I know a lot of them mean well but they're totally detached from reality.

Hopefully the Labour moderates unite behind one candidate otherwise it's pointless. Corbyn had 60% of the vote last time but I can see a lot of disaffected remainers ditching him now.
    Absolutely. The moderates are determined to only put a single candidate forward, and I think now it might well be Owen Smith. They won't risk splitting the vote again.

As for meaning well, many do but they do so from a position of willful ignorance and many also possess a very unpleasant, vicious temperament. I.e. they talk about killing people, about how everyone in politics is a traitor, about how everything is a conspiracy, about how all ills in British politics are the fault of either the Zionists or the Blairites (in the latter case, "Blairite" for a Corbynista means "anyone in the Labour Party who disagrees with me", given that even Corbyn supporters like Lisa Nandy have called on him to resign).

As you say, there's huge scope for disaffected Remainers to help out by casting £3 votes. The evidence of Corbyn's sabotage of the Remain campaign is now pretty much beyond question, and I think there's a lot of hunger for a plausible Labour alternative

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    The circus wouldn't be complete without Ken Livingstone making an appearance.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7109586.html

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 30, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.