The Student Room Group

If you ever think when has a a mass shooting been stopped by a armed civilian USA

The answer would be just the other day

http://www.wistv.com/story/32308903/deputies-man-opened-fire-wounded-several-at-nightclub

Ignore the mistake in the title

Scroll to see replies

I trust this will put an end to the anti-gun nonsense on this site.
i think someone else made a thread on this same event ?
Reply 3
Original post by the bear
i think someone else made a thread on this same event ?

I think they did after this one went unnoticed.
Original post by joecphillips
The answer would be just the other day

http://www.wistv.com/story/32308903/deputies-man-opened-fire-wounded-several-at-nightclub

Ignore the mistake in the title

If there's one thing progressives hate, it's facts. The moment you provide evidence that contradicts their political agenda you run the risk of triggering them and preaching hate. Sadly, most of them will have already found comfort in their safe-space before you can have a reasonable conversation on the issue.
Reply 5
Original post by jake4198
If there's one thing progressives hate, it's facts. The moment you provide evidence that contradicts their political agenda you run the risk of triggering them and preaching hate. Sadly, most of them will have already found comfort in their safe-space before you can have a reasonable conversation on the issue.

They do prefer feels over fact
Original post by oldercon1953

Quite! The tens of thousands of accidental deaths and murders, the weekly multiple shootings and countless injuries are a small price to pay for the opportunity for this to happen once a century, aren't they?
Reply 7

Will it balls.

It won't put an end to it in your country, so it won't end it on a site full of idealist students in a country where these things are controlled.

Ok, a "good guy with a gun" stopped a "bad guy with a gun", but they still managed to injure innocent people in the process. If you were the guy who got shot by some randomer you'd be pretty pissed off, regardless of how the incident turned out.

I've used handguns, rifles, assault rifles and full military spec weaponry, I know I wouldn't trust random bum**** guy with them. I'm constantly utterly astounded that anybody does. No training needed, no competency tests, no proficiency testing... it's insane.
Original post by Drewski
it's insane.

This incident serves to highlight the number of legally-armed vigilante nutters wandering the streets of the USA - a major risk to the general public.
what is it with pro-gun advocates and anecdotal evidence...?
Original post by jake4198

Blargh! You have thoroughly debunked the multitude of studies, metastudies, and masses of hard data backing up my position with your single anecdote. I am slain.
(edited 7 years ago)
Meanwhile in Australia they stopped fatal mass shootings with a piece of legislation. It's been 20 years without one.
Original post by Good bloke
Quite! The tens of thousands of accidental deaths and murders, the weekly multiple shootings and countless injuries are a small price to pay for the opportunity for this to happen once a century, aren't they?

You finally get it.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Blargh! You have thoroughly debunked the multitude of studies, metastudies, and masses of hard data backing up my position with your single anecdote. I am slain.

Finally. Just stay down!
Already had a thread on this. If guns werent so easily available, then the man might not have been armed in the first place.
Gun homicides are 57 times higher in the US.

13,286 deaths by fireamrs in the US, so one incident of someone else having a gun isnt going to be significnat in the scheme of things.
Their choice if they wnat them and they end up shooting each other, but am happier with the UK position as its safer. I dont have the need to own several weapons.
Original post by Drewski
Will it balls.

It won't put an end to it in your country, so it won't end it on a site full of idealist students in a country where these things are controlled.

Ok, a "good guy with a gun" stopped a "bad guy with a gun", but they still managed to injure innocent people in the process. If you were the guy who got shot by some randomer you'd be pretty pissed off, regardless of how the incident turned out.

I've used handguns, rifles, assault rifles and full military spec weaponry, I know I wouldn't trust random bum**** guy with them. I'm constantly utterly astounded that anybody does. No training needed, no competency tests, no proficiency testing... it's insane.

I am equally astounded that you actually feel it is your gun control laws that are contolling the number of politically motivated mass shootings. Wait till radicals decide it's time this tactic is tried in Britain. You will see how ineffective gun laws are.
What works over there where you've already been disarmed and everyone has what clearly is a culturally acquired distaste for guns, will not work here.
As far as the other gun deaths are concerned, accidental,in the heat of the moment, murders, etc,, we simply don'r feel it's appropriate to disarm 330 million people. It just aint gonna happen. Too much would have to be given up to achieve disarmement anyway.
Original post by Good bloke

Dozens of times every day someone in the U.S. uses a gun to protect themselves or someone else. These incidents don't make the papers because law enforcement isn't usually notified since the gun is probably not registered and would most likely be confiscated. Many times there's no need to even fire a gun to stop a crime. Just showing it can be enough to stop a perpetrator. To think this happens only once a century is dumb.
Original post by Quantex
Meanwhile in Australia they stopped fatal mass shootings with a piece of legislation. It's been 20 years without one.

What??? You mean allowing the GOVERNMENT to exercise control to PROTECT ITS CITIZENS??? MADNESSS?? THAT IS NOT WHAT AMERICA IS ABOUT!!!! DON'T LET THE GOVERNMENT INTERFERE WITH MY GUNS!!

yada yada.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by 999tigger
Already had a thread on this. If guns werent so easily available, then the man might not have been armed in the first place.
Gun homicides are 57 times higher in the US.

13,286 deaths by fireamrs in the US, so one incident of someone else having a gun isnt going to be significnat in the scheme of things.
Their choice if they wnat them and they end up shooting each other, but am happier with the UK position as its safer. I dont have the need to own several weapons.

The majority being suicide and people wanting to kill themselves, who would find a way anyway.

Illinois has some of the strictest gun control laws in the USA yet Chicago had 397 people shot and 66 fatally.

California have the strictest and San Bernardino and ucla show how well that went.

Vermont who are ranked 41st have the least gun murders per 100,000 people of any us state.
I think people just need to stop now with this rubbish about guns being necessary for "self-defence", because we all know it's rubbish.

Keep your guns if you must, but at least admit it's just that "I don't want to give up my gun because I like guns and I feel like a badass with one. I don't give a damn how irresponsible other people are or how many other people die, as long as I get to keep mine."

That's a lot better than inventing lots of fantasy scenarios about how safe the country is as a result of guns and how vulnerable you'd all become if they were banned, whilst ignoring the reality of what actually happens in actual countries that have banned them.

Quick Reply

Latest