Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    greetings...

i have a question for those with financial knowledge. i recently inherited a fair bit of cash and i am wondering what i should do with it. i was wondering about "playing" the stock market, with some of the $, however i am aware of the risks. anyhow, i was wondering, can someone tell me a website where i can buy and sell shares with ease... preferably one which has been tested out. also i would like to know a decent website where i can get tips on investments etc.

any knowledge is greatly appreciated.

merci
    endorf.

ReputationRep:
    Celebdaq

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    Celebdaq
    im talking real cash $$, not monopoly money. seriosuly... someone sort me out...

(anyone who hooks me up with the knowledge gets rep)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endorf)
    greetings...

i have a question for those with financial knowledge. i recently inherited a fair bit of cash and i am wondering what i should do with it. i was wondering about "playing" the stock market, with some of the $, however i am aware of the risks. anyhow, i was wondering, can someone tell me a website where i can buy and sell shares with ease... preferably one which has been tested out. also i would like to know a decent website where i can get tips on investments etc.

any knowledge is greatly appreciated.

merci
    endorf.
    http://www.fool.com/school/basics/ba...m?source=InvAg

it takes years and years to understand the stock market, but heres something i found for starting. From the book, i have a feeling all it does is to recommend you to stay safe with index trackers tho

ReputationRep:
    im talking real cash $$, not monopoly money. seriosuly... someone sort me out...

(anyone who hooks me up with the knowledge gets rep)
    depends ho much you've got...you could put some in a high interest account like an ISA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    http://www.fool.com/school/basics/ba...m?source=InvAg

it takes years and years to understand the stock market, but heres something i found for starting. From the book, i have a feeling all it does is to recommend you to stay safe with index trackers tho
    i have economics A Level - dont worry i have the skills - and i also have to balls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    depends ho much you've got...you could put some in a high interest account like an ISA
    isnt an ISA only for about £3,000 though... i heard of those, i might do one.. but i think the max is 3 grand a year and i want returns on my $$$ fast

ReputationRep:
    isnt an ISA only for about £3,000 though... i heard of those, i might do one.. but i think the max is 3 grand a year and i want returns on my $$$ fast
    atm the chance is that youll lose $$$ fast if you dont know what youre doing - its always a lottery

ReputationRep:
    yeh, but you can get your family all to open one each and put £3000 in each...just an idea :confused:

ReputationRep:
    yeh, but you can get your family all to open one each and put £3000 in each...just an idea :confused:
    good point :- although i think they already got ISAs... hmm i wil have to consider... a few of my mates got burnt on the stock market but some also made it, so its a bit of a gamble..

i might get a broker or something... i can get 5.25% with northern rock in a savings account which is pretty good. and maybe a tracker, but narrow money is restricting.

ReputationRep:
    atm the chance is that youll lose $$$ fast if you dont know what youre doing - its always a lottery
    its just a matter of studying the market - the ftse 100 is rising at the moment so its a good time to invest.

ReputationRep:
    good point :- although i think they already got ISAs... hmm i wil have to consider... a few of my mates got burnt on the stock market but some also made it, so its a bit of a gamble..

i might get a broker or something... i can get 5.25% with northern rock in a savings account which is pretty good. and maybe a tracker, but narrow money is restricting.
    yeh, i opened one on the last day of the last financial year so now i can top it up...i really dunno what the best option is, i jus know a little bit about isas

ReputationRep:
    yeh, i opened one on the last day of the last financial year so now i can top it up...i really dunno what the best option is, i jus know a little bit about isas
    well as far as i understand you can open 1 ISA a year and put a max of 3,000 in, but you can keep doing that year after year, so its good to start early. and its all tax free so the governent dont the $$.

where do you go to open an ISA ??

ReputationRep:
    its just a matter of studying the market - the ftse 100 is rising at the moment so its a good time to invest.
    its picking up, but by no means healthy atm, it could go down very easily, the performance is still below average

ReputationRep:
    All the major banks have shareholder accounts.. Halifax is pretty good on the interest it charges. Expect to lose some money first off, but you can learn to really play the market if you've get enough experience, money and luck. As for advice.. get the big Sunday papers tommorrow- The Business, The Financial Times etc and you'll find loads of tips in there.

ReputationRep:
    well as far as i understand you can open 1 ISA a year and put a max of 3,000 in, but you can keep doing that year after year, so its good to start early. and its all tax free so the governent dont the $$.

where do you go to open an ISA ??
    did mine at the halifax

ReputationRep:
    its picking up, but by no means healthy atm, it could go down very easily, the performance is still below average
    hmm... you have to speculate to accumulate though... i will just put a bit of $$ in at first to learn the ropes, then i will put more in as i get more profitable. and if i loose a lot i will just go to the bookies..

ReputationRep:
    IMO (and my mother's) the dollar is undervalued at the moment, it may take a few years but I think buying dollars is a good investment, i bought some when they were at 1.90 I think and they have risen since then. And others I have spoken agree that in the long term they will rise, but I understand that you may be in for short-term gain.
    Saying that we may have the Wall Street Crash II on Monday

ReputationRep:
    If you want to invest in stocks and shares always have a balanced portfolio.

The type of investment just depends upon the level of risk you want to take and the time you wish to invest it for.

The stock market is really long term, unless you know what your doing.

There are medium risk investments such as bonds.

If you want no risk, at the moment ING Direct do a good rate and there is no risk. Plus next month there could very well be another rise in interest rates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    IMO (and my mother's) the dollar is undervalued at the moment, it may take a few years but I think buying dollars is a good investment, i bought some when they were at 1.90 I think and they have risen since then. And others I have spoken agree that in the long term they will rise, but I understand that you may be in for short-term gain.
    Saying that we may have the Wall Street Crash II on Monday
    yeah but that would decrease the value of the pound, and then the exchange rate would rise and then we would be back to where i started... automatic stabiliser effect...

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.