Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I start at Ucl in September and I've just found out I've been placed in an intercollegiate hall when I didn't apply for intercollegiate. I'm freaking out a little bit and am kinda after some reassurance. I'm concerned about the social life and how it works. With the different unis having different start dates and different freshers weeks surely this makes it tricky to make friends as some people will be settled but the time you arrive? How does it work with the different unis having different freshers events? Is it easy to find people at the same uni as you? Can someone just tell me how it works with going out and stuff? I'm really worried about it

ReputationRep:
    Same I wasn't given UCL halls

ReputationRep:
    Hi if you don't mind me asking, when did you apply for UCL accommodation? I thought they send out accommodation offers starting mid-July.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAS98)
    Hi if you don't mind me asking, when did you apply for UCL accommodation? I thought they send out accommodation offers starting mid-July.
    Pretty much as soon as it opened but I am a deferred entry so am on a year out so they said ours could come through a bit earlier

ReputationRep:
    Me too! I received an offer from Garden halls yesterday even though I didn't apply for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e16)
    Me too! I received an offer from Garden halls yesterday even though I didn't apply for it
    same i was given Garden halls even though I didn't apply for it. Maybe it means most people there will be from UCL?

(Original post by trixiebellrhia)
    I start at Ucl in September and I've just found out I've been placed in an intercollegiate hall when I didn't apply for intercollegiate. I'm freaking out a little bit and am kinda after some reassurance. I'm concerned about the social life and how it works. With the different unis having different start dates and different freshers weeks surely this makes it tricky to make friends as some people will be settled but the time you arrive? How does it work with the different unis having different freshers events? Is it easy to find people at the same uni as you? Can someone just tell me how it works with going out and stuff? I'm really worried about it
    (Original post by RAV 123)
    same i was given Garden halls even though I didn't apply for it. Maybe it means most people there will be from UCL?
    (Original post by e16)
    I applied for Garden Halls seperately because I purposely really want to go there. You'll find a lot of people from UCL so just don't worry about it! There will be plenty of flatmates from your uni or even your course.
    Also garden halls you move in on 18th which is a week before freshers as far as I'm aware, as the UCL residencies open a week later. Added bonus is you get extra time to get settled

ReputationRep:
    You'll live with people from different universities and befriend them. My advice to you is buy a good silicon earplugs with aloe to mute as much of the sound and be able to get a reasonable amount of sleep for the lectures and work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RAV 123)
    I hope so because freshers week is at different times for different unis. It seems like it'll be housing a lot of students so there should be quite a lot from UCL (fingers crossed) 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trixiebellrhia)
    Hi, I'm a 2nd year from LSE who's going into intercollegiate halls this year (royally ****ed up getting leases signed in time.) Anyway, from my experience I reallllly wouldn't worry. A lot of first years get pooled into intercollegiate housing, and there are lots of 2nd, 3rd and 4th years in Uni Halls in London because it's easier to sort out when you're international. So essentially, I doubt you're going to be around a much different bunch w.r.t age than you would be in your first choice. The only real difference is that you're going to be with a bunch of people from other unis and from your own. Whilst ofc it is helpful to have friends from your uni on the first few days, so you can walk there together, I don't think this will impede this as there will be others there. The main issue would be whether it would affect your chances of making 'uni friends', but as most uni in london aren't campus, you'll find you make a set of 'halls' friends and a set of 'uni' friends (rather than one big group) regardless of whether the halls corresponds to the uni of not. Therefore, it seems doubtful that coming from a mixed halls will hurt your chance of making a group of friends from your uni also.
    On top of this, you have the wonderful benefit of not being around people from your uni all the time. Believe me when you have a summative to submit the next day and you're completely fed up, having people about who aren't interested in it will be a real blessing as far as not having to talk about it too much goes. Plus diversity of character will be nice too, especially if you figure out like I did that people from your uni are generally crazy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.