Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I hope this is the right place to post this.

So I'm in Year 11 and I want to decide on which subject to study at university (mainly so that I can immerse myself in that subject and acquire relevant experience). I want to get into a top university (possibly Oxbridge). I previously wanted to study maths, but now I'm not so sure - I'm torn between maths and linguistics. Maths interests me, and I'm good at it - but there's also a lot of others who are likely just as good as I am, if not better. I find linguistics very interesting, and I'm very good at it - but it doesn't seem to lead to any good jobs that I can see myself doing. Any ideas on how to decide or what I can do to help me make the decision whether or not to study maths?Any help will be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archipelaglobule)
    I hope this is the right place to post this.

So I'm in Year 11 and I want to decide on which subject to study at university (mainly so that I can immerse myself in that subject and acquire relevant experience). I want to get into a top university (possibly Oxbridge). I previously wanted to study maths, but now I'm not so sure - I'm torn between maths and linguistics. Maths interests me, and I'm good at it - but there's also a lot of others who are likely just as good as I am, if not better. I find linguistics very interesting, and I'm very good at it - but it doesn't seem to lead to any good jobs that I can see myself doing. Any ideas on how to decide or what I can do to help me make the decision whether or not to study maths?Any help will be much appreciated

Why not combine them?

ReputationRep:
    Maths. It is a STEM degree and you'll find employment quickly and/or will be able to do postgraduate masters in other STEM disciplines such as Computer Science.

Linguistics can remain as your passion or a hobby.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah; why don't you combine them and do computational linguistics? I'll be studying Linguistics and French studies from October @ Oxford - so let me know if u have any questions and believe me there's a lot statistics involved when it comes to linguistics.

Linguistics is like the best subject ever aha! But I'd definitely say don't do it if you're simply good at it - you really need to love it or you'll absolutely hate studying it at Uni. My friend hated it that during her year abroad she decided to drop out.

ReputationRep:
    Computational linguistics sounds like it might be a good idea - I'll look into it further.

(But yeah, linguistics is the best)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InvestmentBankin)
    Maths. It is a STEM degree and you'll find employment quickly and/or will be able to do postgraduate masters in other STEM disciplines such as Computer Science.

Linguistics can remain as your passion or a hobby.
    Linguistics is also a STEM subject at post-grad level hence its a BSc. You will find yourself doing primarily Neurolinguistics and Psycholinguistics/Lang Acquisition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patricio_miguel)
    Linguistics is also a STEM subject at post-grad level hence its a BSc. You will find yourself doing primarily Neurolinguistics and Psycholinguistics/Lang Acquisition.
    Yes, but at the same time you've mentioned how you don't see yourself doing anything in terms of career with your Linguistics degree. So Maths it is then.

I mean the OP - you are not the OP sorry : )

ReputationRep:
    I say both subjects are as good when it comes to career choice because you don't have to do a specific job if it so happens that you change your mind and won't be willing to become a Maths teacher, for instance. Linguistics - scientific study of English and Maths is maths! Neither of them is like doing a degree in Barbie doll making that would force you to do that particular job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patricio_miguel)
    So do you think that there's a possibility greater employment opportunities if I study linguistics at post-grad level? A few minutes' research about jobs following on from a normal graduate linguistics degree turned up things like teaching English as a foreign language and speech therapy, which I can't really see myself doing and don't seem to involve aspects of linguistics that interest me in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Some people have said it already but just to reiterate: computational linguistics! It's all the interesting bits of math, linguistics, and computing thrown together. Lots of interesting subfields like machine translation, semantic analysis, etc etc, and there's a big demand for jobs at the moment. I'm in Y12 and planning on studying CL so if you have any questions give me a shout

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.