Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My friends want to rent an expensive apartment Watch

I have agreed to share a place to stay with work colleagues but they are picking some apartment that would cost me at least £1000 a month and it's too much for my salary. There are just as nice places to stay for £700-800 a month (per person) but they rather go for some flashy place that was recently built.

I would rather share with people I work with but I can't afford to pay that much rent each month. How can I convince them to choose a cheaper place so that I don't sound like a cheapskate?

In addition, if I decide not to share with them, I'd have to share with random people (that I have to find online) and I don't really feel comfortable with that. I would rather not rent my own place either as it's just as expensive.

What can I do?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have agreed to share a place to stay with work colleagues but they are picking some apartment that would cost me at least £1000 a month and it's too much for my salary. There are just as nice places to stay for £700-800 a month (per person) but they rather go for some flashy place that was recently built.

I would rather share with people I work with but I can't afford to pay that much rent each month. How can I convince them to choose a cheaper place so that I don't sound like a cheapskate?

In addition, if I decide not to share with them, I'd have to share with random people (that I have to find online) and I don't really feel comfortable with that. I would rather not rent my own place either as it's just as expensive.

What can I do?
    All you can do is be honest and explain that you think the more expensive places are bad value for money.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Talk to them as suggested.
    Have a look at the rooms, maybe one is a bit smaller and you could pay less?
    Alternatively find the details of some good alternatives and get them to go and look.
    Its about compromise.

If you cant afford it then dont go into debt over it. They should know how much you do or dont earn.

If they dont listen then maybe they arent the type of friends you wnat to eb sharing with anyway.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)

What can I do?
    the only thing you can do is be outright honest and sit down with them to explain your situation financially and ask politely if they would be willing to consider somewhere a little less expensive. make sure your honest and dont get pushing into a deal your not comfortable making x

ReputationRep:
    they can't force you to live there... just don't sign the contract and try and suggest an alternative cheaper solution

ReputationRep:
    tell them your price range (you should have discussed this really already) and send them some reasonable places, you just have to be honest

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.