Turn on thread page Beta

How exactly do you know you are eligible for Clearing? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have been predicted ABB and I have a firm choice at KCL, but no insurance, mainly because they were crap or they were available through Clearing last year. Of course, I dunno how I did but certainly not as good as I should have done and therefore, I'm preparing for Clearing.

If I go to collect my results and I don't meet the required grades, do I automatically assume I can try for other courses via Clearing and start phoning up universities? And when exactly do UCAS receive my results so that they can start sending me that Clearing form? Does it matter if that form comes on the day I receive my results or not? I want to go and collect my results as early as possible and start phoning up universities on courses I'm interested in, with the use of some newspapers. I won't need to have the form right on the day when they decide whether to accept me right?

Anyways, good luck everyone. I hope you all do well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jediknight007)
    Hi, I have been predicted ABB and I have a firm choice at KCL, but no insurance, mainly because they were crap or they were available through Clearing last year. Of course, I dunno how I did but certainly not as good as I should have done and therefore, I'm preparing for Clearing.

If I go to collect my results and I don't meet the required grades, do I automatically assume I can try for other courses via Clearing and start phoning up universities? And when exactly do UCAS receive my results so that they can start sending me that Clearing form? Does it matter if that form comes on the day I receive my results or not? I want to go and collect my results as early as possible and start phoning up universities on courses I'm interested in, with the use of some newspapers. I won't need to have the form right on the day when they decide whether to accept me right?

Anyways, good luck everyone. I hope you all do well!
    If you don't meet your grades, phone Kings. They will tell you if you have a place or not. If not, then you can enter clearing. You used to be able to sort out clearing without your clearing passport, then send it on when it arrives. not sure if that is still the case, but I'm sure one of the new 2nd years coud tellyou that

ReputationRep:
    If you don't make your offer you arn't automaticlly in clearing. You have to wait for your 1st and 2nd choice unis to decline you (or phone them up and persuade them to accept you) once your results come through. Only when both unis have informed ucas that they won't accept you will the form be mailed out to you.

However there is nothing to stop you phoning unis as soon as you get your results (and have already tried pleading with your 1st and 2nd choices), you may not get the form for quite a while after and it will almost certainly not come on results day.

You shouldn't need to have the form with you on results day as many unis will gaurentee you a place for a certain time if they like you enough as a candidate. What I did was rang around as many unis as i was interested in - most offered me a place but many wanted me to accept it or decline it within 3-5 days or so. other unis said they would probsbly offer me a place but wouldn't gaurentee it until i posted my form. After getting these offers i went to a few clearing open days and looked around. After deciding on Essex I put them down on my form, phoned up all the other unis to decline their offer and waited a while until my place at Essex was confirmed.

ReputationRep:
    So you HAVE to phone up your firm choice to see what their opinion is and if they decline you, only then can you accept an offer via Clearing?

ReputationRep:
    So you HAVE to phone up your firm choice to see what their opinion is and if they decline you, only then can you accept an offer via Clearing?
    More or less. If you didn't want your firm, you could piss the admissions office off on the phone in such a manner that they suspect you may have a huge penis strapped to your head, and take offense at you. that usually ends to a revoke of nice-ness and any potential relaxation of their admissions criteria!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    More or less. If you didn't want your firm, you could piss the admissions office off on the phone in such a manner that they suspect you may have a huge penis strapped to your head, and take offense at you. that usually ends to a revoke of nice-ness and any potential relaxation of their admissions criteria!
    Well, I'm not 100% sure about my firm because it is a very tight course and doesn't allow you to pick options. There's a course at Clearing which interests me more. Still, I would be glad to have got into my firm but they ask for an A in Maths. Therefore, I'm pretty sure I will not get in. I'll still try but I'm not gonna beg, lol.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't a question for me or anyone I know but just for curiosity purposes,

What happens if someones has a firm offer of ABB and obviously if they achieve it they are not allowed to go through Clearing. But supposing they get BBB, then they STILL get accepted by their original, are they still not allowed to decline this and go through clearing? Because technically, they didn't meet the offer so they shouldn't be forced to go. It's like, depending on your tone of voice when you ring them (having not achieved the grades) they can decide whether you are allowed to go through Clearing or not...

Am I making any sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)

What happens if someones has a firm offer of ABB and obviously if they achieve it they are not allowed to go through Clearing. But supposing they get BBB, then they STILL get accepted by their original, are they still not allowed to decline this and go through clearing? Because technically, they didn't meet the offer so they shouldn't be forced to go. It's like, depending on your tone of voice when you ring them (having not achieved the grades) they can decide whether you are allowed to go through Clearing or not...

Am I making any sense?
    I'm kinda in that position as well. I know that if I somehow get ABB with an A in Maths, I will be forced to go to my firm choice. However, I'm not sure about when I miss my grades. To be honest though, if I get BBB, I hope that KCL decline me so that I can go through Clearing because of other more interesting courses than single Mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    You go to clearing if your six choices and/or your UCAS extra choices have been unsuccessful, then you are eligible for clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    You go to clearing if your six choices and/or your UCAS extra choices have been unsuccessful, then you are eligible for clearing.
    And if you are unsuccessful at any firm and insurance offers you have...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)

Am I making any sense?
    I *think* you are still contractually bound to take your offer (firm or insurance). That's certainly how it used to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    But what exactly do you mean unsuccessful? Does it mean not meeting your required grades or being told personally by the university that they have declined you?

ReputationRep:
    This question has already sort of been answered but is it absolutely necessary that you have your clearing passport or code thingy when you ring the uni? Some uni's say to act fast because places fill up quickly, is this from people who was eligible for clearing before results day? And do you have to get your referee to sign anything *makes a very worrying face cuz referree is big ogre who absolutely hates*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    This question has already sort of been answered but is it absolutely necessary that you have your clearing passport or code thingy when you ring the uni? Some uni's say to act fast because places fill up quickly, is this from people who was eligible for clearing before results day? And do you have to get your referee to sign anything *makes a very worrying face cuz referree is big ogre who absolutely hates*
    According to pencil queen you don't need it- it probably won't get there until at least monday, and you can ring around on thursday and friday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    ARGH!!!!!!!!!!! I'm TRYING TO NOT LOOK AT YOUR AVATAR THERE! MY EYES!!!

Anyways, it's true that places can fill up quickly, especially with the more popular courses at good universities but I don't think it's on a first come first serve basis. I think they still take your grades and your commitment into account.

ReputationRep:
    ...........they were available through Clearing last year............
    where can i find out what was available through clearing last year ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertybob)
    where can i find out what was available through clearing last year ?
    Do a search - PQ posted a link a few weeks back.

fx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Do a search - PQ posted a link a few weeks back.

fx
    thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertybob)
    thankyou
    Sorry - that was probably a little vague. One of the sources was the clearing supplement from the Mirror (might help with search terms).

HtH

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible for uni's to decline you in clearing? If yes, does it often happen or rarely happen?

Pretend you have 200 tariff points, and the firm and insurance choices were unsucessful, and then you went to clearing. Is it possible for a uni that wants 220-240 points accept a student with 200 tariff points in clearing?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.