Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone, I am moving away from home this September and I'll be staying in my university's accommodation. Which "stuff" are essential to bring with me the 1st day that I arrive.?

I've seen a lot of "tip" threads but most of them reffer to students that will be travelling by car.

P.S. I'm moving from another country so I'll be travelling by plane.

Anyone willing to share their experience when first arrived in the halls of residence is most welcome to post.

Thanks in advance people
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Eleftheriadis)
    Hello Everyone, I am moving away from home this September and I'll be staying in my university's accommodation. Which "stuff" are essential to bring with me the 1st day that I arrive.?

I've seen a lot of "tip" threads but most of them reffer to students that will be travelling by car.

P.S. I'm moving from another country so I'll be travelling by plane.

Anyone willing to share their experience when first arrived in the halls of residence is most welcome to post.

Thanks in advance people
    Money, clothes and your laptop. Everything else you can buy once you get there.

ReputationRep:
    I had something like that in mind.. thanks

ReputationRep:
    I used a website called Click2Campus to get all my kitchen stuff, not sure if they're still in business but if not there should be a ton of similar sites for international students. If you're traveling with your one or both of your parents, use their luggage space to bring extra stuff, but I agree with claireestelle, those are really the only things you really *need* to bring with you

ReputationRep:
    From what I gather you need to ask your university what will be provided and buy other stuff that you need, I'd recommend buying these stuff when you enter the UK. Basically you will need to make sure you can cook yourself a variety of meals(frying pans, cutlery, toaster etc.), can sleep comfortably and have a laptop. There will be other things like food and clothes in which you will buy throughout the course as well as stationary and textbooks etc.

I'd recommend looking for a job for the weekends if you're not seeing your family often, but you will need to be aware that if you need to apply for a visa this may affect your ability to work. Also, the current state and near future of the economy is uncertain, so you will need to make sure that you have sufficient funding to help make sure you can still feed yourself despite not having a job. But if your family will also be in the UK, don't worry about a job as your family will be able to help you directly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    I used a website called Click2Campus to get all my kitchen stuff, not sure if they're still in business but if not there should be a ton of similar sites for international students. If you're traveling with your one or both of your parents, use their luggage space to bring extra stuff, but I agree with claireestelle, those are really the only things you really *need* to bring with you
    I'll be travellin' on my own. I'm 21 and one plus is that I have already traveled in the city I'll be studying for an interview for the course.

thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrianMcEgg)
    From what I gather you need to ask your university what will be provided and buy other stuff that you need, I'd recommend buying these stuff when you enter the UK. Basically you will need to make sure you can cook yourself a variety of meals(frying pans, cutlery, toaster etc.), can sleep comfortably and have a laptop. There will be other things like food and clothes in which you will buy throughout the course as well as stationary and textbooks etc.

I'd recommend looking for a job for the weekends if you're not seeing your family often, but you will need to be aware that if you need to apply for a visa this may affect your ability to work. Also, the current state and near future of the economy is uncertain, so you will need to make sure that you have sufficient funding to help make sure you can still feed yourself despite not having a job. But if your family will also be in the UK, don't worry about a job as your family will be able to help you directly
    I will certainly ask my university for what do they provide in the accommodations.

No i'm not international student I'm going from a European Country. no visa needed, just passport. However, working could be tough, because my course is highly demanding in terms of hours of lectures per week and in studying time.
    But I will have a part time job in mind. I have worked in a lot of different areas in my country that will easily fit for a part time job in the uk.

ReputationRep:
    I will certainly ask my university for what do they provide in the accommodations.

No i'm not international student I'm going from a European Country. no visa needed, just passport. However, working could be tough, because my course is highly demanding in terms of hours of lectures per week and in studying time.
    But I will have a part time job in mind. I have worked in a lot of different areas in my country that will easily fit for a part time job in the uk.
    I'm talking about Brexit, you may at some point need a visa depending on the trade deals that are negotiated. It's dependant on where you go in terms of the job, if you're going to the North, you'll find getting a part time job very difficult because of the lack of job opportunities there. Best of luck finding one which ever university you go to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrianMcEgg)
    I'm talking about Brexit, you may at some point need a visa depending on the trade deals that are negotiated. It's dependant on where you go in terms of the job, if you're going to the North, you'll find getting a part time job very difficult because of the lack of job opportunities there. Best of luck finding one which ever university you go to
    Well, in the immediate future brexit cannot affect. If and when the negotiations are completed then I will consider my options.
    My uni is in the west midlands!

Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    Well, in the immediate future brexit cannot affect. If and when the negotiations are completed then I will consider my options.
    My uni is in the west midlands!

Thank you very much!
    Coventry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KazuoTakeda)
    Coventry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How could you tell ?

ReputationRep:
    We're on a same boat mate!

are you from Europe? I am a bit worried about moving to the UK as I live in America right now. We speak the same language, but tons of differences...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boston-London)

are you from Europe? I am a bit worried about moving to the UK as I live in America right now. We speak the same language, but tons of differences...
    Yeah mate, I'm from Greece..

I believe that if you can adapt easy to new surroundings then you will be fine.

Don't worry, eventually you will cope with the way people think in your Uni/City.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boston-London)

Have you started your tier 4 app yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.