Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so I'm looking at university accommodation at oxford brookes and for one of the halls its a 49-week contract. By this I'm assuming you pay for the whole 49 weeks. However, you're not at university for 49 weeks? and doesn't your student loan run out at a certain time of the year? where do you get the extra money from, I'm slightly confused (I'm a year 12 student, applying later this year) anyone help?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by hestiaoya)
    so I'm looking at university accommodation at oxford brookes and for one of the halls its a 49-week contract. By this I'm assuming you pay for the whole 49 weeks. However, you're not at university for 49 weeks? and doesn't your student loan run out at a certain time of the year? where do you get the extra money from, I'm slightly confused (I'm a year 12 student, applying later this year) anyone help?
    Your student loan is meant to cover all year from september to august (you get 3 payments a year and it's normally one each term). Most accomodation offers shorter contracts than that, but otherwise yes you'd be expected to pay for the whole 49 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Your student loan runs out only when you make it run out.

Of course you won't be in uni for 49 weeks as that's almost a year but many of the accommodations offer such lengths of contracts. Its usually for those who don't really have anywhere to come back to or cannot go back somewhere for the entire summer.

Such lenght of contract is good when all the shorter ones are all rented out and you know you can share with someone, so you'd be splitting the cost, saving you a lot of money.

My accommodation (London) is a 44 week contract as everything else was gone but I'll be sharing and they split the cost meaning I pay £5.7k for the whole 44 weeks, leaving me with approximately £1.9k each term to spend on any necessities etc.

You can almost always make it work somehow without going broke mid year. Most students also pick up a part time jobs to make some extra money if they are struggling or to earn some extra just in case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hestiaoya)
    You need to go to one of the other (cheaper) halls where the contract better reflects the amount of time you need it and it is within your budget.

It's probably not a great idea to choose the most expensive accommodation and then wonder where to get extra money (answer being that you would have to work or get it from parents). The better way of doing it is to work out how much Student Finance you'll get and then sign up for the accommodation which you will actually be able to afford. Budgeting takes a while to get the hang of, but it will start to get easier as you manage your student loan.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.