Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • #1
    • Thread Starter


    When I moved into my accomodation, I filled in an inventory form stating the damages and Wear and tear within my room. I have now left my accomodation as the tenancy ended last week and my landlord has delayed giving my deposit back due to damages in the room and wants to charge 120 pound for them. The damages include a burn in the carpet, dents in the wall and a scratch in the mirror. These were all here before I moved in and I stated this in the inventory form checklist. I mentioned this to my landlord to which I received a reply that he does not have that checklist and has misplaced it so it doesn't apply anymore. Is this correct? I feel this is not fair and I did not have a copy of the form. However, I did take time stamped pictures of all the damages at the start. What can I do about this dilemma? Any help would be appreciated.

    You have time stamped photos - send them to him and inform him you expect your deposit to be refunded within X days or you will be contacting the deposit protection scheme. If he tries to keep your deposit you can challenge it.

    A) It isn't your issue if he misplaces the checklist

    B) Tell him you have time stamped photos of the damage

    C) Tell him that you are happy to see him in Court if he does not give the deposit back.

    If the deposit was held in a deposit protection scheme (as it's required to be now, I think) then it's easy to dispute with your evidence and you'll get your money back no problem.

    I once had an agency try deducting about £300 from my deposit for pre-existing, noted damage. I disputed the deduction and when they offered no evidence I got the full amount back. Good luck!

    Just get it sorted out as soon as possible

    Posted from TSR Mobile
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

    Sponsored features:

    Making money from your own website

    Need some cash?

    How to make money running your own website.

    Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

    Handle your digital footprint

    What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.