Go to brothers birthday party or watch the Wimbledon final? Feel selfish :/ Watch

abcde3237
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
title
abcde3237
Rep:
?
anyone?
physicsphysics91
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Tennis, otherwise you'd be babysitting for free.
abcde3237
Rep:
?
(Original post by physicsphysics91)
Tennis, otherwise you'd be babysitting for free.
You think so? I feel like a ***** though. My mother has texted me after the phone call (I thought she was going to cry at one point) asking if I was coming and 'she was waiting for me of course'. She mentioned during the call how I should do it for my brother's sake when I know that that isn't the reason she wanted me there originally.

I'm gonna end up resenting being there and missing the final when if it wasn't even worth me going and I end up doing nothing. She does support me but I resent being guilt tripped into coming

edit: Also the event starts at two-ish so there's no way I'll be back in time for the game as I live an hour away.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You say Tennis only happens annually but how often do you think your Brother's birthday happens?
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There will be other opportunities to watch Novak Djokovic win a final.
Platopus
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by abcde3237)
(Tl:dr at bottom) Basically my little brother (about 10-11) is having a birthday meal/party with his school friends soon with sister and mother overseeing it. My mum had asked me to organise it so I did. She wanted me to attend (I live an hour away at uni) so I could handle the kids (and mingle with the parents later if necessary) since her English is not that great and she felt I would be better at it. They're not doing much, literally just eating and it'll all be done in an hour or so.

Thing is I've only just realised that its on the day of the Wimbledon final which Ive been meaning to watch for aaagess. I was going to go to a public screening back at where I live in uni and was looking forward to the intense exciting atmosphere with fellow fans, but I'm now gutted Ill have to miss it.

I tried to talk to my mum about it but she is adamant that I attend and even said she held the party on the basis that Id be there to handle the kids. Im really annoyed because this was the only date she would originally allow it and even though Im at fault for not realising this clash sooner, I resent her trying to make me come without even hearing me out. She hasn't been mean about it, but she's practically begging me to come along with what seem like guilt trip. I feel selfish but I resent having to miss my own event just so that I can make her look good (what I feel like is the case) to people she will likely never see again. Also despise the fact that she'll guilt trip me into it saying it'll be his last ever party and that she asks nothing of me and it'll only be this once.

I'll take my brother out separately for a birthday celebration and I doubt he'll mind me not being there since he will be with all his school friends.

Im not sure what to do

Tl : dr little brothers restaurant party with his friends that mum has asked me to attend so I can handle the kids because her english is rubbish (and social skills quite frankly, but that's expected with a language barrier i guess). Annoyed that i'll miss the Wimbledon final which I was really looking forward to, and only happens annually, just so that I can be there for an hour max to look after kids who can feed themselves and make max. 5 minutes of small talk with parents of kids who we'll likely never see again since everyone is going into secondary schools. Feel a bit selfish but dont wanna miss the annual final. Thoughts?
If I were you, I'd go for the tennis. Otherwise, try to extort some money from the babysitting.
abcde3237
Rep:
?
(Original post by Inexorably)
You say Tennis only happens annually but how often do you think your Brother's birthday happens?
True but it's not like I'm missing a big family bash! I'm planning on taking him out separately for a day with my siblings (and mum). It's just gutting that Ill be missing the tennis atmosphere and celebrations just to babysit 11 y/o kids for an hour making sure they feed themselves (:rolleyes: ) and make small talk with parents who we'll never see again. Also he'll be with his friends so I doubt it'll make such of a difference.

Not sure if I'm just making excuses though :/
abcde3237
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnetlad)
There will be other opportunities to watch Novak Djokovic win a final.
After a whole bloody year :rolleyes: It's not just the literal finals but also the atmosphere and excitement you get amongst fellow sports fans in a big game.
fefssdf
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Andy Murray needs you mate !!!
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
True but it's not like I'm missing a big family bash! I'm planning on taking him out separately for a day with my siblings (and mum). It's just gutting that Ill be missing the tennis atmosphere and celebrations just to babysit 11 y/o kids for an hour making sure they feed themselves (:rolleyes: ) and make small talk with parents who we'll never see again. Also he'll be with his friends so I doubt it'll make such of a difference.

Not sure if I'm just making excuses though :/
It might mean a lot to your brother if you're there idk that's literally all I can offer.

In your situation I would probably just go so that my mum wouldn't bang on about it butttt yeahhh your choice.
abcde3237
Rep:
?
(Original post by fefssdf)
Andy Murray needs you mate !!!
Mateee what if Andy Murray is playing?!!! I'll die if I miss it
fefssdf
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mateee what if Andy Murray is playing?!!! I'll die if I miss it
I'd be gutted as well - just send some really long deep pagraph to your brother+mum which declares your love for Andy - or maybe say to her that you will come but only if Andy isn't playing ??
Kocytean
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is a hard call, but I'd say tennis since your mother is being unfair and trying to force you into it, which is something that wouldn't go down with me. Of course try and help your mother, but I'd try and come to an alternative arrangement, even if it means something like paying a friend of the family to stick around.
abcde3237
Rep:
?
I'd be gutted as well - just send some really long deep pagraph to your brother which declares your love for Andy - or maybe say to him that you will come but only if Andy isn't playing ??
Can you imagine the atmosphere where most are rooting for Murray, especially if the weather is great and he drinks flowing... :cry:
abcde3237
Rep:
?
(Original post by dragonzrmetal)
It is a hard call, but I'd say tennis since your mother is being unfair and trying to force you into it, which is something that wouldn't go down with me. Of course try and help your mother, but I'd try and come to an alternative arrangement, even if it means something like paying a friend of the family to stick around.
She wants me there because it's me. I feel like she wants me there to show off, almost as an ego thing (to people who she won't see ever again after school ends). She said she booked it based on the fact that I'd be there and my english is better and I can speak to everyone blah blah and asked if she should cancel it if Im not coming :rolleyes:
Fenice
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Attached files
fefssdf
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can you imagine the atmosphere where most are rooting for Murray, especially if the weather is great and he drinks flowing... :cries:
Well if I were you I'd hope Andy Murray gets beaten so you don't miss out but yeh sounds pretty decent and more fun that chilling with some 10 year olds :/
abcde3237
Rep:
?
Well if I were you I'd hope Andy Murray gets beaten so you don't miss out but yeh sounds pretty decent and more fun that chilling with some 10 year olds :/
Yeah I cba, what would be the point just to watch them eat for an hour?
abcde3237
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fenice)
can't see the attachment
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.39%
No (241)
33.61%

Watched Threads