Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm an A-Level student and applying to university next year. I hope to apply for either Oxford or Cambridge but cannot decide which one. Cambridge has an offer of A*A*A whereas Oxford has an offer of A*AA.

I think it could be possible for me to achieve the A*A*A grades needed for Cambridge although I am not entirely sure about this.

I heard that Cambridge have a higher acceptance rate whilst also hearing rumours that I would have a higher chance of being interviewed. My question is: Which uni will give me a higher chance at being accepted?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by blankboi)
    Hi, I'm an A-Level student and applying to university next year. I hope to apply for either Oxford or Cambridge but cannot decide which one. Cambridge has an offer of A*A*A whereas Oxford has an offer of A*AA.

I think it could be possible for me to achieve the A*A*A grades needed for Cambridge although I am not entirely sure about this.

I heard that Cambridge have a higher acceptance rate whilst also hearing rumours that I would have a higher chance of being interviewed. My question is: Which uni will give me a higher chance at being accepted?
    Pick the course, not the admissions process.

ReputationRep:
    wait till you get your results. your ums is important to cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Pick the course, not the admissions process.
    Having looked at both courses, I don't really have a strong preference as both seem quite interesting.

(Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    wait till you get your results. your ums is important to cambridge
    Ah thats a good point that I forgot to take in to account
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Having looked at both courses, I don't really have a strong preference as both seem quite interesting.

Ah thats a good point that I forgot to take in to account
    You will likely only have UMS for Maths. There's no UMS for linear/reformed A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    You will likely only have UMS for Maths. There's no UMS for linear/reformed A-levels.
    That's quite good news for me i guess
    Thank you

ReputationRep:

As far as I'm aware Oxford has about 22 places for CompSci whereas Cambridge has about 106 ish, I can't remember specifically but i think overall Oxford has something like 1/10 chance of getting in, Cambridge has about 1/6. Oxford you take the MAT and you have a higher chance at getting an interview but lower chance of actually getting a place, and it has lower boundaries.

I know at Oxford you learn Haskell in first year, at Cambridge you don't I think you stick with things like Java. For that reason alone I would go to Oxford
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    That's quite good news for me i guess
    Thank you
    Cambridge has the CSAT btw
    https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/...missions-test/

And STEP if you want to do the CompSci w/Maths option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW22)
    As far as I'm aware Oxford has about 22 places for CompSci
    For the record: there were 34 offers for Computer Science last year (plus 38 for Maths & CS, and 11 for CS & Philosophy). We expect the number of offers to go up this year, as an additional college will be accepting CS students.

Gavin

ReputationRep:
    I think you and I are in the same situation.
    I think there will be many exams in Cambridge, and I am not really excellent in math, so i choose Oxford.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by y1999zk)
    I think there will be many exams in Cambridge, and I am not really excellent in math, so i choose Oxford.
    ?

No. You have CSAT at Cambridge, or MAT at Oxford. By the way, MAT = *Maths* Admissions Test

Both courses will expect you to be strong in maths. Oxford expects at least a A, and specifies A* in Maths or FM or Computing.

Cambridge adds a STEP requirement but that's only if you are applying for the w/Maths option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by y1999zk)
    Unfortunately if you're "not really excellent in maths" then you may want to consider choosing another subject because most of computer science is basically maths.

ReputationRep:
    ?

No. You have CSAT at Cambridge, or MAT at Oxford. By the way, MAT = *Maths* Admissions Test

Both courses will expect you to be strong in maths. Oxford expects at least a A, and specifies A* in Maths or FM or Computing.

Cambridge adds a STEP requirement but that's only if you are applying for the w/Maths option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have got A* in both math and further math.
    But i think step, especially STEP2 and 3 are very difficult for me, but MAT is a little bit easy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.