Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm currently considering starting a course with the OU. I have only studied to GCSE level, mainly A's and B's, but have decided now is the time to branch out a little.

I'm currently serving in the Army and I was wondering if anyone knew of people in a similar situation.

I'd also like to know how prospective employers would view my previous experience and qualifications in comparison to someone doing a degree at a 'brick' uni. My role in the army involves some engineering work.

Any information/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Since no one doing the Open Uni BEng has replied to you, I've just finished a BSc in Physics with Open Uni and I'm applying to positions in a specific area of the engineering sector. The BEng with Open University has several different routes which and you decide on this after year 1, just throwing it out there... Electronics is highly desirable in the job market right now.

The Open University BEng Engineering is accredited by the IET and the BSc Physics is accredited by IOP. Flag this next to your degree name on your CV and it shows the degree is of industry standard, it speaks volumes.

I've had a number of interviews and second interviews in the last few weeks and I'm hoping I get good news shortly, I think my Open University degree has gone down well in interviews, but I've found they don't really ask questions about the Open Uni study but what I actually know and If I know information about the sector I want to go into. I get the impression once you have secured your first job after your degree, I doubt employers will ask about your degree again in an interview and they will ask more about your experiences.

My Physics degree covered theory but no practical, its a difficult hurdle to overcome, but I pre-planned this shortcoming and gained experience in very low level jobs while studying, sounds like you could write the same on your CV from your current job. Having army experience and a degree on your CV sounds very good and will stand out.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your response.

One of my major concerns was the practical elements within the degree, although there's a couple of residential weeks, there's not much else really.

My job in the army wouldn't really cover any of the specific aspects mentioned in the BEng Engineering syllabus. Which was my main concern when applying for jobs with little practical knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjrooney3)
    Thank you so much for your response.

One of my major concerns was the practical elements within the degree, although there's a couple of residential weeks, there's not much else really.

My job in the army wouldn't really cover any of the specific aspects mentioned in the BEng Engineering syllabus. Which was my main concern when applying for jobs with little practical knowledge.
    If you time and plan accordingly you could sign off from the army with 6 months to a year before completing the degree and this will give you time to find adequate experience. I had to take a substantial pay cut and left a job that had career prospects to get low level experience but its worth it in the long run and it gave me valuable experience to write on my CV.

I thought the the army have a programme that allows for soldiers to gain qualifications in the run up to their exit? Perhaps they could pay for a HNC in Electrical / Mechanical / Aerospace engineering. Note, such a huge amount of engineering jobs state a requirement for a candidate to have a HNC / HND / BSc, which just goes to show you only need the HNC and the extra 2 years to get a BSc may not be worth it. Its worth looking at jobs now so you can start to make the steps required for your CV to make a career change.

ReputationRep:
    cjrooney3

Which part of the Army are you currently serving in?

ReputationRep:
    David,

The army run a resettlement programme and offer enhanced and standard learning credits. I'm thinking I could do a HNC/HND whilst in the process of leaving.

Hike,

I'm an Ammunition Technician, currently a Corporal.

ReputationRep:
    cjrooney3

I hope you don't mind me asking this, but is there any reason you are looking to leave the Army now? If you study for you OU degree whilst still in,then the Army will help fund it. Depending on how long it takes you to complete it you may well have been promoted which always looks better on a cv. I obviously know nothing of your circumstances. It was just a thought.

Regards,

Hike

ReputationRep:
    or try changing regiment and go to an sappers one as the BSc will massively work well with it
    i know a sapper who changed to bomb disposal

ReputationRep:
    Hike,

The army isn't what it was anymore. With budget, pension, wage cuts brought alongside rises in accommodation and food charges makes it a relatively unhappy place to be, there's no job satisfaction in it anymore now there's no deployments.

Shawtyb,

Ammunition Technicians are the main bomb disposal asset to the UK, which is what I currently do, engineers have taken a back seat recently.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.