Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are young people today becoming more and more afraid to fall in love? It seems like there is only lust and timepassing now theres nothing real between people anymore... Am i the only one who feela this way????
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    In the past decades, I believe the average age for marriage has gotten delayed so it doesn't surprise me young people don't fall in love as much, though there is still a considerable amount that do. From personal experience (I'm 18), I feel like there is lack of commitment but I'm more of a long-term kinda guy so that's the reason I'm wary of falling in love, not that it prevents me anyhow, just something to be mindful of.

ReputationRep:
    Love? Waste of time.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    These days it's mostly about being practical and I do think the love thing has died down to an extent. :yep:

But there are still many hopeless romantics out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why are young people today becoming more and more afraid to fall in love? It seems like there is only lust and timepassing now theres nothing real between people anymore... Am i the only one who feela this way????
    Because if I was in love I wouldn't have the freedom to go to the Middle East and f̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶J̶i̶h̶a̶d provide humanitarian aid.

Or go to Mexico to s̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶d̶r̶u̶g̶s̶ have new experiences and make new friends.

There are so many things I could miss out on

Because ... unrequited love. Seriously, the worst I've ever felt and I never want to feel that way again. It's not worth it.

I think its because nowadays its much easier to be naked and have sex with the other person I.e lust than it is to be open/vulnerable/exposed about your feelings and every thought you think.

ReputationRep:
    Relationships aren't really productive, I don't think I have anything to gain from one. I wouldn't gain even relaxation. Social situations worry me and add on the stress if anything.

Althought sex doesn't have any part in my life either, and that's how I like it. I don't have any desires, which is very good, I don't need to waste time fulfilling those tediousities, nor I need to feel frustrated when they aren't fulfillled.

ReputationRep:
    Why are young people today becoming more and more afraid to fall in love?
    It's not so much that they're afraid, more the case that they're insecure, selfish, superficial, status-whores

ReputationRep:

Srsly though, I'm ridiculously scared of being vulnerable and giving someone the power to hurt me. I imagine many people feel that way. Being a hopeless romantic, I do try not to give in to my fears, but it's an uphill battle.

ReputationRep:
    I have so much love to give ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

ReputationRep:
    Fear of being rejected, hurt, cheated on etc

Im a hopeless romantic but if someone was to ask me out I'd probably think it was a joke or something.

ReputationRep:
    Because you end up opening yourself to one person and you have no idea what that person is actually taking you seriously or not.

Been in love and it was incredibly painful in the end. As a result, I have decided to dedicate the rest of my life to puppies.

<3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.