Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I just finished my GCSEs and I am taking Maths next year. The exam board my school does is OCR MEI. I was wondering what its like? How is it structured? (what exams do you do in first year and second year) Is there anything I should do this summer to prepare? What are the grade boundaries like etc...
    Basically what is the whole course like?

Thank you
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    x

ReputationRep:
    There are some key differences in the content when compared to the EdExcel course.

Firstly, the ordering of the topics are slightly different. In EdExcel, calculus is tested in C1, whereas in MEI, it's done in C2. The order is also mismatched for a few other things like binomial distribution.

MEI also teach different concepts. MEI is the only exam board which covers permutations and combinations probability, which is covered in S1. My teacher mentioned how unusual he initially found it because combinatorics probability is something usually taught during the first year of Uni. Experimental laws, something that took me a while to understand, is also a topic which I don't believe is covered in other exam boards, at least for the AS core modules.

Of course, the combinatoric maths itself was quite dumbed-down -- it had to be considering it was included in the introductory statistics module -- but it was nonetheless quite unusual for AS.
    If you'd like a more-or-less complete list of the differences between MEI and EdExcel, open up these two pages:

- http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-r...cification.php

Pick a module and determine yourself how they vary.

Here the important part:

It's unanimously agreed by my teachers and peers that MEI is considerably more difficult than the other exam boards. The questions aren't as straight-forward; they will attempt to probe your knowledge by phrasing questions in unique ways. I'd recommend comparing papers from the two respect exam boards. Whilst EdExcel may ask you to "Factorise the cubic x", MEI may instead ask you to read from a graph, or sketch your own and determine the values from there. That isn't the best example, but I think you understand my point.

Another important consideration is that the grade boundaries are significantly higher than the other exam boards. This is likely due to the fact that the students who are entered for MEI papers are often 'better-abled' on average; there is a higher proportion of students who achieve a higher UMS, say, EdExcel, where students of considerably mixed ability will sit the same exam. This is probably due to the selective sixth forms choosing MEI (HWSF, WoodWard, KMC) for the 'competitive edge' or whatever.

The structure is the same. It can be easily researched. Hope this helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs)
    There are some key differences in the content when compared to the EdExcel course.

Firstly, the ordering of the topics are slightly different. In EdExcel, calculus is tested in C1, whereas in MEI, it's done in C2. The order is also mismatched for a few other things like binomial distribution.

MEI also teach different concepts. MEI is the only exam board which covers permutations and combinations probability, which is covered in S1. My teacher mentioned how unusual he initially found it because combinatorics probability is something usually taught during the first year of Uni. Experimental laws, something that took me a while to understand, is also a topic which I don't believe is covered in other exam boards, at least for the AS core modules.

Of course, the combinatoric maths itself was quite dumbed-down -- it had to be considering it was included in the introductory statistics module -- but it was nonetheless quite unusual for AS.
    If you'd like a more-or-less complete list of the differences between MEI and EdExcel, open up these two pages:

Pick a module and determine yourself how they vary.

Here the important part:

It's unanimously agreed by my teachers and peers that MEI is considerably more difficult than the other exam boards. The questions aren't as straight-forward; they will attempt to probe your knowledge by phrasing questions in unique ways. I'd recommend comparing papers from the two respect exam boards. Whilst EdExcel may ask you to "Factorise the cubic x", MEI may instead ask you to read from a graph, or sketch your own and determine the values from there. That isn't the best example, but I think you understand my point.

Another important consideration is that the grade boundaries are significantly higher than the other exam boards. This is likely due to the fact that the students who are entered for MEI papers are often 'better-abled' on average; there is a higher proportion of students who achieve a higher UMS, say, EdExcel, where students of considerably mixed ability will sit the same exam. This is probably due to the selective sixth forms choosing MEI (HWSF, WoodWard, KMC) for the 'competitive edge' or whatever.

The structure is the same. It can be easily researched. Hope this helped.
    This helped so much! Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.