Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Psychological issue natural treatment? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I think I definitely have a psychological issue, for quite a while. I think I'm finally ready to go doctors again and ask to be put on meds because it's impacting my life alot, I'm getting social anxiety, scatter brain, angry, depressed and very emotional.

I just need something to calm my mind, I can never sleep cos I think about the past alot and get angry and upset alot about it. I had quite a few set backs and eventually I just had enough and didn't feel my strong self anymore.

I'm very capable and have achieved alot but recently this depression has knocked me back.

I don't want side effects of antidepressants. I want something natural that works or something not harmful that will calm me down and feel positive again.

I've tried therapy several times NHS n private but it did nothing.

Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Side effects of antidepressants aren't that bad, and only last a couple of weeks. It works so just take them, and that's if a psychiatrist says you need them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott.)
    Side effects of antidepressants aren't that bad, and only last a couple of weeks. It works so just take them, and that's if a psychiatrist says you need them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Alot people have told me not to and said it's really risky and can make a little issue worse

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    All medications, including paracetamol, can and do have side effects. When you're put on antidepressants you should have a regular medication review in the first few weeks and if you're concerned about any side effects you can contact your doctor. It could be that the dosage, brand or type need changing. There are 3 types of antidepressants - SSRI, SNRI and beta blockers. Within those there are different brands.

All antidepressants come with the warning that they could increase suicidal ideation. but beings aware of that means you can put in place extra support and pay attention to how you're feeling. If it becomes a real risk then you can speak to doctor.

I don't know what risks you've been told or how medication is supposed to make a bigger problem out of it so it's harder to specifically address that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justfedup)
    Alot people have told me not to and said it's really risky and can make a little issue worse

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You might not even get put on them, and it's better to listen to a doctor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justfedup)
    Hi,

So I think I definitely have a psychological issue, for quite a while. I think I'm finally ready to go doctors again and ask to be put on meds because it's impacting my life alot, I'm getting social anxiety, scatter brain, angry, depressed and very emotional.

I just need something to calm my mind, I can never sleep cos I think about the past alot and get angry and upset alot about it. I had quite a few set backs and eventually I just had enough and didn't feel my strong self anymore.

I'm very capable and have achieved alot but recently this depression has knocked me back.

I don't want side effects of antidepressants. I want something natural that works or something not harmful that will calm me down and feel positive again.

I've tried therapy several times NHS n private but it did nothing.

Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Antidepressants didn't work for me. Hell, they almost drove my mad. I am skeptical whether they truly work for anyone. Apparently, studies suggest it's just placebo effect in most cases.
    'Natural remedies' don't work either. Valium is amazing for anxiety. But if you are anything like me, once you get used it it there's nooo going back.

ReputationRep:
    The placebo effect is a common phenomenon for all treatments - including non medicated ones. However, when I went on my current medication, I realised they were working because they had positive effects that I never anticipated. Such as keeping my mind quiet from continuous negative thoughts. Much easier to feel happier when those thoughts shut up. They regulate my sleep better and they help me manage disordered eating

Basically everyone is different so you can have plenty of experiences from either side. Meds saved my life and they help people to engage with therapy. However, it can take months or even years to get the best medication for you. This medication will need to be reviewed and then changed again in the future

Best to speak to a doctor who can discuss your options with you

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering if someone who had situational depression which has now been ongoing to the point I'm not as rational as i used to be and made my working and personal life so much more difficult.i wonder if it will help. I tried one med two years ago and it made me have panics at night.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.