Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am about to just give up and become a stay at home mum as i just cant do this personal statement. Every time i try to sit down and work on it my newborn baby cries (not usually a problem but today its stressing me out), if i do it later the other 3 kids are at home screaming and shouting. I cant do it when the OH is home from work as thats the only chance i get to tidy up and try and have a bath :-(

Then when i do manage a whole 5 minutes to think, not a single bit of my experience is relevant to nursing at all. I've been told that everything ive done so far is pointless and no where near good enough for uni...... so how am i meant to come back from that? Im applying for March intake and i clearly have wasted my time so far i have worked for 18 years, volunteered as a Doula and Home Start, from this ive worked in hospitals, medical centers, in peoples homes, worked with complex health needs and then from my working career ive managed large teams of people, been a manager, then ive juggled working, volunteering, studying full time, and being pregnant. What more can i do other than just give up :-( I have 2 days to get this statement done as im changing the one on my UCAS application so they are putting pressure on me to get it done.

Sorry this ended up as more of a rant than a question but i just cant see a way out of this.

(Original post by gothicdreamer20)
    I am about to just give up and become a stay at home mum as i just cant do this personal statement. Every time i try to sit down and work on it my newborn baby cries (not usually a problem but today its stressing me out), if i do it later the other 3 kids are at home screaming and shouting. I cant do it when the OH is home from work as thats the only chance i get to tidy up and try and have a bath :-(

Then when i do manage a whole 5 minutes to think, not a single bit of my experience is relevant to nursing at all. I've been told that everything ive done so far is pointless and no where near good enough for uni...... so how am i meant to come back from that? Im applying for March intake and i clearly have wasted my time so far i have worked for 18 years, volunteered as a Doula and Home Start, from this ive worked in hospitals, medical centers, in peoples homes, worked with complex health needs and then from my working career ive managed large teams of people, been a manager, then ive juggled working, volunteering, studying full time, and being pregnant. What more can i do other than just give up :-( I have 2 days to get this statement done as im changing the one on my UCAS application so they are putting pressure on me to get it done.

Sorry this ended up as more of a rant than a question but i just cant see a way out of this.
    Don't worry too much about your personal statement, honestly. It's a fact that admissions officers spend an average of 8 minutes skim reading each application (barring Oxbridge of course). So long as it's grammatically and factually correct, not copied off the Internet and says why you want to study the course, they won't care. I have seen some truly dreadful personal statements in my time. My friend's one was horrendous but it didn't stop her getting an offer to study economics at Cambridge.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Who on earth would say all that isn't good enough for putting down on a personal statement? You've worked in medical related environments and pretty much done more than what most students would have done upon applying. I applied for an engineering course and non of my work experience or extra curricular stuff is related to that, still got accepted from all my places.

ReputationRep:
    Concentrate of two things - the qualities you need for Midwifery (ability to cope under stress, make difficult decisions quickly, come over as confident/calm/empathetic/altruistic etc, and that you have done enough relevent work experience to understand the realities of the job.

Too many school leavers apply for Midwifery. with the idea that a) it's all about babies (its not, its about their parents), or b) that its glamourous, or worse c) its just like Call the Midwife. They dont realise its about clearing up poo/sick and dealing with upset, unreasonable people at 3am.

Use examples from the experience you have to illustrate that you have the maturity and all the other necessary qualities to do this job. Start (briefly) with the moment when you realised that you wanted to be a Midwife (ie. and not just 'a nurse') and go from there. Write down bullet points of things like 'Calmness under pressure', 'Making a difficult decision on your feet' etc etc and fill these out with examples.

Good Luck!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by gothicdreamer20)

Firstly, you have plenty of relevant experience, and anyone who tells you otherwise clearly doesn't know what they're talking about. I've assisted many many applicants with much less experience who have been successful in gaining a place.**

Try to avoid listing the things you've done and instead focus on two or three and explain how the skills you've developed are useful for nursing. You might also want to focus on a particular patient or condition you found interesting and discuss that. You could also consider times when you have had experience of safeguarding, risk assessment, holistic care, encouraging patients to self-care etc. as it's much more valuable to discuss the rationale behind your decisions and the evidence-based care you've been involved in.

There is a link to the Nursing and Allied Health PS guidance in my signature which should be really useful to you, which explains how to talk abut your experiences in greater detail.*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.