Austrian court cancels presidential election result, orders re-run

Watch
TheCryingRemain
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Europe was plunged into fresh crisis a week after Brexit on Friday as Austria’s courts ordered a re-run of the country’s presidential election.

The constitutional court ruled the election, in which a far-Right candidate was narrowly defeated, would have to be held again because of irregularities in counting postal votes.

The ruling means the far-Right may seize the presidency of a European Union member state for the first time.

Norbert Hofer, the gun-toting candidate of the far-Right Freedom Party (FPÖ) lost the election in May by just 31,000 votes.

He was defeated by Alexander van der Bellen, a soft-spoken former economics professor endorsed by the Green Party.

Mr Hofer’s supporters will believe today’s ruling means he can seize the presidency after all.

The decision will send shockwaves through EU governments already grappling with the consequences of Britain’s vote to leave.

Read More:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...fter-far-righ/
The Epicurean
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The article stated:

The Austrian presidency is largely ceremonial, and would not give the FPÖ the power to force through its policies.
Seeing that it is merely a ceremonial role, do many Austrian people even partake in this vote?
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What a surprise, electoral fraud via postal voting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
M14B
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As a far right supporter I am ecstatic
Asolare
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
Oh so the far right wing candidate could win?... Hooray....
--
Nevertheless, this will be interesting.
username2228735
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheCryingRemain)
Europe was plunged into fresh crisis a week after Brexit on Friday as Austria’s courts ordered a re-run of the country’s presidential election.

The constitutional court ruled the election, in which a far-Right candidate was narrowly defeated, would have to be held again because of irregularities in counting postal votes.

The ruling means the far-Right may seize the presidency of a European Union member state for the first time.

Norbert Hofer, the gun-toting candidate of the far-Right Freedom Party (FPÖ) lost the election in May by just 31,000 votes.

He was defeated by Alexander van der Bellen, a soft-spoken former economics professor endorsed by the Green Party.

Mr Hofer’s supporters will believe today’s ruling means he can seize the presidency after all.

The decision will send shockwaves through EU governments already grappling with the consequences of Britain’s vote to leave.

Read More:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...fter-far-righ/
Firstly, the FPOE is not a 'far-right' party. Their views and policies are very much libertarian. The limelight has been placed on their immigration policy, but it is by no means 'far-right' like the Front National.

Secondly, this is hardly a potential crisis. This will not be the first time Austria someone from a populist party has been elected President.
Finally, the position of President is more or less symbolic; he or she has relatively little legislative power.

Quit it with the ignorant sensationalism.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (79)
37.8%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (23)
11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (14)
6.7%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (51)
24.4%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (26)
12.44%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.66%

Watched Threads