Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historyhoney)
    playing the system?
    Yup - deducing what you need to fit in with them, rather than thinking of them being lucky enough to have you. also looking at equal ops policy etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    Thank you
    thats okay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Yup - deducing what you need to fit in with them, rather than thinking of them being lucky enough to have you. also looking at equal ops policy etc.
    equal ops policy, eh?

ReputationRep:
    equal ops policy, eh?
    One 'common' stratagy, from what I saw whilst there (and it takes a lot of foresight) is that parents will pull their A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A* GSCE student spod from a good (sometimes private) school and put them into a mildly failing school for A-Levels, paying for extra tuition etc. in the hope that the school will come under Oxbriges 'poorer schools, less harsh' selection policy.

A lot of colleges are wising upto this though

ReputationRep:
    One 'common' stratagy, from what I saw whilst there (and it takes a lot of foresight) is that parents will pull their A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A* GSCE student spod from a good (sometimes private) school and put them into a mildly failing school for A-Levels, paying for extra tuition etc. in the hope that the school will come under Oxbriges 'poorer schools, less harsh' selection policy.

A lot of colleges are wising upto this though
    thats stupid! sorry, I have very strong views on state and private schools, well at least I have a lot of experience for my subject - history, with museum work, magazines and books read, maybe I have a little chance...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spider)
    If I ever market something for spots, I'll call it ZAPSTA!!
    25% royalties please

ReputationRep:
    thats stupid! sorry, I have very strong views on state and private schools, well at least I have a lot of experience for my subject - history, with museum work, magazines and books read, maybe I have a little chance...
    Sorry to have given a neg view. I did a lot of stuff whilst at Oxford, including going into 'bad' local schools to talk about Oxford. If you have your heart set on Oxbridge, you should go for it.

I know peeps on medicine with ABC grades, peeps who got in through clearing etc. There's always a way if you want it bad enough and are a good candidate. It doesn't always come down to mummy, daddy and who you know.

ReputationRep:
    thats good, hey fluffy, are you going for or at or finished oxford then - im slightly confused?

ReputationRep:
    thats good, hey fluffy, are you going for or at oxfrod them - im slightly confused?
    I did my D.Phil there.

Where are you looking at? Ox or Bridge?

ReputationRep:
    ox more then bridge but I dont know, can you pm me with any suggestion so I dont take over the thread, but hints would be kool, as I do wnt to have an interview, but now the one and only good history teacher has gone I dont know if I have the motovation to do the course again I had to do that with half my GCSE's and it got too much

ReputationRep:
    ox more then bridge but I dont know, can you pm me with any suggestion so I dont take over the thread, but hints would be kool, as I do wnt to have an interview, but now the one and only good history teacher has gone I dont know if I have the motovation to do the course again I had to do that with half my GCSE's and it got too much
    Sure!

Will do!

ReputationRep:
    thanks, I have to go to bed now, so I'll reply soon, thanks again

ReputationRep:
    thanks, I have to go to bed now, so I'll reply soon, thanks again
    Have done!

Don't tell shiny that a thread about spots drifted into Oxford!

ReputationRep:
    Have done!

Don't tell shiny that a thread about spots drifted into Oxford!
    It's drifted onto Oxbridge .

ReputationRep:
    Anyway! Them spots - any solutions?

:eek: *Future Cambridge student.* :eek:

Anyway! Them spots - any solutions?
    No use acting innocent now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    :eek: *Future Cambridge student.* :eek:

No use acting innocent now!
    I don't have any Cambs specific hints, tips and info - try Helenia or Shiny...

I don't have any Cambs specific hints, tips and info - try Helenia or Shiny...
    lol i've knows Helenia for over a year now, she's the reason i've decided on Cambridge and not Oxford, (sorry to be so arrogant as to assume i belong in one of those two, that's not the case, i'd be happy at other places.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    lol i've knows Helenia for over a year now, she's the reason i've decided on Cambridge and not Oxford, (sorry to be so arrogant as to assume i belong in one of those two, that's not the case, i'd be happy at other places.)
    Pass on any info

(Original post by Zapsta)
    Pass on any info
    I don't know that much yet, i'm only 16, i wasn't really paying attention...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.