Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey peeps,

Here am I stressed perusing through every bit of each Oxford thread. I am devastated and extremely worried. Each year I've been working my *** off just to achieve my dreams and I was doing it pretty well and doing so still. I want to acquire a dream , as the majority of us wants to...being able to study at Oxford. I have received a tremendous support from my family and I am grateful for that.
    I love studying and pushing my mind further the limits and believe it or not sciences mean everything to me. They are my dream, my passion and my love and doing things that I like in a wonderful place such as Oxford is priceless to me. If you were to ask me what is my main hobby I would say:"Doing sciences".

As you can probably assume I am an international (non-EU) student and I do not have numerous chances of getting a scholarship in UK (except of Oxbridge [>] and UCL[<]). Last year I won a scholarship and I am able to finish my last 2 years in an awesome school. Currently doing IB. I am planning to apply to St. Hugh's for biological sciences. My predicted is going probably to be 39 with 7 in Bio HL and 6 in Chem HL and English. Throughout my academic year I constantly received straight 7s (>90%) but my mock exams were not good because of extenuating circumstances. I tried to explain to my teacher why I did not achieve a good score on my mocks but he was not eager to understand me. Still I convinced him to give me an exam in of the whole year (but at that moment he had a weird facial expression as he was like telling me: " No matter what I am going to give you a 6" This really dampened my enthusiasm down and now I am really stressed since I think that grade is going to make it or brake it. Now be honest do you think that Oxford will accept me with the minimum of 766 that I have? There is one clear answer: NO. I have decided that I am going to suprise my teacher and instead of sitting a 1st year exam I am going to ask for the whole syllabus exam.

I think that only IB can lower my chances of getting into Oxford since my extracurriculars and past academic achievments and grades were top notch. Here they are:

Fi

F
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by BioOx)
    Now be honest do you think that Oxford will accept me with the minimum of 766 that I have? There is one clear answer: NO. ]
    Given that their entry requirements are "39 with a 7 in HL Mathematics or a science", "No" is not the clear answer. As long as you're predicted the entry requirement, you have a chance of getting an offer. Whether you get an offer will depend on a number of things, most importantly your interview, but you don't suddenly get disqualified from getting an offer just because you're predicted the entry requirement. If Oxford didn't think that 766 was acceptable then it wouldn't be their entry requirement.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford isn't the be all and end all. I had poor health in the A level years due to the stress. In hindsight I don't think it was rational because all unis are good in their own way. I really do believe that.

ReputationRep:
    First place Primary school competition in Physics (prt. National Olympiad)
    First place Gymnasium competition in Biology
    First place Gymnasium competition in Geography (prt. National Olympiad)
    Diploma for exemplary results in my primary school (equivalent to 11*A in GCSE)
    Honors student in 9th and 10th grade for the best achieved results in the generation
    Participant of an International Science Challenge (biology)
    Summer School for gifted students in Chemistry
    Head of a school group of Bioinformatics
    Work experience in Bioinformatics Institute in my country
    Work experience in professional Laboratories
    Supervisor of the Chemistry Labs
    Robotics programming and hardware development

These are my achievements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Given that their entry requirements are "39 with a 7 in HL Mathematics or a science", "No" is not the clear answer. As long as you're predicted the entry requirement, you have a chance of getting an offer. Whether you get an offer will depend on a number of things, most importantly your interview, but you don't suddenly get disqualified from getting an offer just because you're predicted the entry requirement. If Oxford didn't think that 766 was acceptable then it wouldn't be their entry requirement.
    Thank you! I think that somebody needs to shoot me before I accept a second opinion.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by BioOx)
    Thank you! I think that somebody needs to shoot me before I accept a second opinion.
    I just want to add, please, try to avoid getting to obsessed about Oxford. As I've explained, you have got a chance of getting in but if you start convincing yourself, as you seem to be doing, that your life is over if you don't get in, you're probably going to have a very hard time. Lots of brilliant applicants are rejected from Oxford and there are plenty of other great universities in the world. Please remember that more than the university you attend, what's important is what you do with your time there. If you get into Oxford, great. If you don't, it is not the end of the world and you will still be very successful.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.