The Student Room Group

Article: Is it possible to predict what universities will do on results day?

Scroll to see replies

If universities post their clearing grade requirements, are they solid and not willing to change/go lower?
Original post by CantonHero
If universities post their clearing grade requirements, are they solid and not willing to change/go lower?

Ask an academic today and the answer is they are solid. Ask an academic a week into clearing who knows that his department is not sustainable with the number of students he has recruited that year, and the answer may be different.
Original post by nulli tertius
Ask an academic today and the answer is they are solid. Ask an academic a week into clearing who knows that his department is not sustainable with the number of students he has recruited that year, and the answer may be different.

Okay, thank you. :smile:
Reply 203
If i'm changing my course and going through clearing, do i need to have a new personal statement at hand in case? I checked on UCAS and they said some ask for a new one but some don't.
Not sure what to do..
Original post by Ezme39
I'm looking at a Russell Group science course, which previously offered AAA/AAB, and it IS in clearing without specified grades at the moment. My worst case scenario is ABB, so worth a try on results day? :smile:

Hey :smile:
If the clearing grades are specified do you know where I would be able to find them?
On the university website? Or on a clearing list somewhere? Thanks ^-^
Original post by x__bx
If i'm changing my course and going through clearing, do i need to have a new personal statement at hand in case? I checked on UCAS and they said some ask for a new one but some don't.
Not sure what to do..

Yes you should do a new one incase they ask.
Original post by Lissy14
If the clearing grades are specified do you know where I would be able to find them?

Which university are you looking at Lissy?
Until their up on ucas the only place you might find them is on a unis website really.
Remember though, the removal of student number controls doesn't apply to NHS-funded courses.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Remember though, the removal of student number controls doesn't apply to NHS-funded courses.

Their not in clearing too often anyway and if they are their incredibly limited
Original post by claireestelle
Until their up on ucas the only place you might find them is on a unis website really.

Will the grades be put next to the uni and course on ucas then? :smile:
Original post by Lissy14

Yes:smile: the ucas clearing search is open from 6pm on the 12th so have a look on wednesday:smile:
Original post by Lissy14

Hey, some of them were released a week or so ago, but the majority have gone now. Those ones could be found through the telegraph clearing list. I was looking at Southampton and Leicester :smile:
I believe universities are mostly presenting their own clearing lists on their websites on Tuesday/Wednesday - and these are the ones where people have missed their offers etc.
That's where I will be looking anyway, but the full list can of course be found on results day with the Telegraph :smile:
Yes:smile: the ucas clearing search is open from 6pm on the 12th so have a look on wednesday:smile:

Ok :smile:

I looked on the Scottish clearing list on the ucas website (which is already open) and it didn't list grades next to the courses. (Not even Scottish highers grades)

Are Scottish courses just different? Or am I looking in the wrong place or something?
Original post by Lissy14
Ok :smile:

I looked on the Scottish clearing list on the ucas website (which is already open) and it didn't list grades next to the courses. (Not even Scottish highers grades)

Are Scottish courses just different? Or am I looking in the wrong place or something?

They might have grades listed on the entry requirements tab, if not then I d say check the uni website as not all the unis seem to put all their requirements on ucas.

Clearing offer grades aren't passed to UCAS. The details on UCAS are those that applied to the course back in September.
Original post by Lissy14

No they won't. Before ringing any uni you should check their website first to see if the course still has space (UCAS course search lags behind by around an hour). If they have published lower grades for clearing then it will be on the website ( if not then 1-2 grades below the standard offer is a reasonable rule of thumb)
Original post by PQ
Clearing offer grades aren't passed to UCAS. The details on UCAS are those that applied to the course back in September.

No they won't. Before ringing any uni you should check their website first to see if the course still has space (UCAS course search lags behind by around an hour). If they have published lower grades for clearing then it will be on the website ( if not then 1-2 grades below the standard offer is a reasonable rule of thumb)

Right ok thanks :smile:
Original post by x__bx
Not sure what to do..

Write one and then you are prepared.
What do you all recommend we do to prepare for all outcomes on Thursday? Should I have a potential lists of other unis & their contact info if I have to go through clearing? Is it guaranteed that my course will say unsuccessful/unconditional at 8AM Thursday?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by farawayfromnowhere
What do you all recommend we do to prepare for all outcomes on Thursday? Should I have a potential lists of other unis & their contact info if I have to go through clearing? Yes, if you are genuinley frightened. Is it guaranteed that my course will say unsuccessful/unconditional at 8AM Thursday? No. 3/20 won't have updated because of no decision being made yet, missing exam results or the information not being passed on to Ucas yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

See bold above.
Original post by PQ

So if before clearing the offer was BBB but during clearing it still stands at BBB and I get BBC am I waisting my time ringing or would they just not have updated the website?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending