The Student Room Group

Student finance won't pay my fee for second year.

Hello everyone! Really need some support on this.
I have just finished my 3rd year at university and I am supposed to graduate this month. However, the uni have recently told me that they received no payment from student finance for my second year. As the uni told me a year late student finance have rejected both my appeals and say they won't pay the money because it's two late. The uni are now saying I cannot graduate until I pay the fee in full. I was completely unaware until recently that the uni didn't get any money from second year and I have no idea what to do!
PLEASE HELP!!!
Reply 1
Personally I find the only way to get things done is to have a go at some people. I'd ask to speak to someone high up at student finance (manager etc) and go ballistic. Tell them that because of them you won't be able to graduate and that you are entitled to that money. This was their mistake not yours, don't take no for an answer. The people that answer the phones have no power to do anything.
Reply 2
Original post by Lil97
Hello everyone! Really need some support on this.
I have just finished my 3rd year at university and I am supposed to graduate this month. However, the uni have recently told me that they received no payment from student finance for my second year. As the uni told me a year late student finance have rejected both my appeals and say they won't pay the money because it's two late. The uni are now saying I cannot graduate until I pay the fee in full. I was completely unaware until recently that the uni didn't get any money from second year and I have no idea what to do!
PLEASE HELP!!!

I would now approach this from the uni angle. I am incredibly surprised that they didn't notice your fees hadn't been paid - at any of mine, you would have been getting direct payment demands from the end of the first term of your second year and you wouldn't have been permitted to go on to the third year. In fact, non-payment of fees would have resulted in you being thrown out of my current uni before the end of the second term.

Contact your Student Union. This smacks of incompetence on the part of the uni and you need the help of someone inside the system to advise you on how to progress the issue there. On the face of it, going by what you have told us, SF are correct in that they can only act on the instruction of your uni. If for some reason your uni did not inform them that you had enrolled for your second year, then your fee payment would not have been triggered. You need the uni to look at why they did not trigger the SF payment (or why they didn't follow up when the trigger was sent but not actioned) and also why no payment demand communications were ever sent direct to you. I experienced an admin error where the uni thought I owed them part of my tuition fee and I had three separate departments bombarding me with letters and emails for two months before I managed to prove that their new computer system had stuffed up.

Did you not get your Maintenance Loan for your second year?

I disagree with the previous poster. Shouting at someone in SF is going to get you nowhere if two formal appeals have failed. A telephone operator is not going to single-handedly overturn two formal appeal decisions, nor will they have the authority to permit a third. Don't waste any more time in that direction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending