Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone considered getting this? It's been out for about two years, and it's available from www.linuxplay.com
    I've been thinking about it. As well as a recent price cut, there's some sort of student discount, so it can be bought for under a hundred quid.( I think it was 116 euros with VAT included).

What's in the kit:
    40 gig hard drive
    Network adapter
    Two discs, one to run the OS from, and another to install programs from.
    USB keyboard and daisychain mouse.

ReputationRep:
    Seriosuly what can this do, sorry what can i do on Linux, it look pretty cool?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blood & Honour)
    Seriosuly what can this do, sorry what can i do on Linux, it look pretty cool?
    Ah, it's a fully featured operating system orignally meant for PCs (but they can get it to run on just about anything now) but it can do pretty much anything within the limitations of the PS2 itself.

I think it's intended for programmers hoping to use the Playstation 2 platform really. I'm not exactly sure though.

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't it be free, if you're willing to buy your own harddrive/keyboard/mouse under the relevant licenses?

ReputationRep:
    Wel, when the linux kit waw first released, the only way of buying the hard drive andnetwok adapter was with the kit. Neither had ben released as stand alaone retail items before. I *think* the network adapter is available, but not the hard drive, as a standalone. As for the USB dasiychain keyboards, any make should work, but the one that they supply is guaranteed to be compatible.

So I'm guessing
    £40 for HD
    £20 for network adapter
    £20 for keyboard an mouse
    and another £20 for the linux distribution.

If I remember correctly, there was a significant price difference between the american and european kits, ours was much more expensive because of the lack of infrastructure required to sell the kit.

About linux being free, you might want to read http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html , it explains this far better than I can. Basically, you can charge what you want. And even if it is completely free, you still have to pay for the medium, unless you're downloading it. If you do want something completely free, try any of the BSDs. I think they're free to download, or you can buy a very decent 5 disc package for £30.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.