Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I'm (hopefully) going to university in September at either Kent or Nottingham. I also have began learning how to skateboard. If you saw someone skating around campus, would you judge them?
    I dont want to start at uni with a bad reputation :s

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    No i think its normal and i dount anyone will care enough to judge you out of nowhere unless you are skating straight into them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You would probably be looked down upon for skating during the day i.e. doing a load of flat land tricks and bringing attention to yourself.

You would be best to keep to learning at a skate park. Get a complete ready-to-go skateboard and keep that seperate to a more stylish getting around board..

If you want to get about quicker then a penny board, which is smaller and easier to carry..

and even adapting a wooden deck to a cruiser that you can customise yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Also as you are likely to be getting about in the dark as it will be November / December / February / March..

You could get some swish light-up wheels for when you blast past people on campus.

ReputationRep:
    I will judge you...

For being so cool and awesome. Do your thing dude B-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys

I will only be riding it around, no tricks on campus because that is awkward ahaha

But yeah i feel better about bringing a board to uni now

ReputationRep:
    My experience of uni is that no one really cares what you do. I knew people who skate boarded, my impression was that people at skate parks are friendly and it's a great way to meet people.

ReputationRep:
    Skateboarding is the coolest thing anyone can do :cool:

ReputationRep:
    As long as you don't trip the pedestrians over, you'll be OK unless your uni has campus regs about it. Mine won't permit cycling, boarding, blading etc in pedestrian areas or on pedestrian paths.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be one of those dicks who make people uncomfortable by skating around strangers and you'll find no one really minds. You may even find your own group of friends who go out and skate every now and then, it's more common than you think!

Go forth and skate, my friend.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you act like a major idiot then no. At my uni outside the library their is a raised area and a big set of stairs. These skaters came over and tried to use all the area for tricks and the small blocks for grinding. Security came out and they were giving him a hard time the guard. One idiot then proceeds to try to kick flip down the stairs and goes flying off his skateboard, literally the funniest thing I have ever seen especially how he was acting the big man 2 minutes earlier

ReputationRep:
    a comparatively few number of students use skateboards, although they are not 'rare"

people either don't give a **** or think they are dorks.

there is always someone who skateboards/roller blades/unicycles/hoverboards.
    bear in mind that you have to lug the dam thing about all day.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.