Determining concentration of limewater PAG12 task

Watch this thread
Hmb28
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've been asked to research a method on finding the concentration of limewater using hydrochloride acid. In my introduction it wants me to write about the chemistry on which the titration is based - what does this mean ?
Rather_Cynical
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Properties of limewater
  • It goes cloudy when CO2 is bubbled through it
  • It acts mildly like a base (high pH)

Titrations
  • When an equal amount (in molar proportions) of acid and base is added, it'll neutralize and there will be a sharp change in pH (a single drop of HCl could change it from pH 10 to pH 4). A pH indicator will change colour almost instantaneously.
  • A titration is where you have a sample of unknown concentration which reacts with something of known concentration and with a little mathematical jiggling you can determine the concentration of the unknown (if they have an equal number of moles, the unknown solution's concentration would be that number of moles/volume)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (66)
41.77%
They're exactly what I expected (36)
22.78%