Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i want 2 be a barrister. i am currently in yr. 9 in school, and have passed my sats with high levels. are there any particular lessons i should take to become a barrister? also, what gcses would i require?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baz in year 9)
    i want 2 be a barrister. i am currently in yr. 9 in school, and have passed my sats with high levels. are there any particular lessons i should take to become a barrister? also, what gcses would i require?
    Hey... Just hang on first! At your age I also wanted to become a barrister, but I took the GCSEs that I enjoyed (and was likely to gain high marks for). Law is a very broad based subject and even with a pure science A Level education, you can still get into Law School.

Just choose whichever GCSEs and A Levels you are interested in. I would recommend History, as it is the closest subject to Law. For example, I take History, Lit, Economics and Double Maths for A Levels.... the essay writing skills that I have learnt are really helpful, but they're not directly related to law in any way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Hey... Just hang on first! At your age I also wanted to become a barrister, but I took the GCSEs that I enjoyed (and was likely to gain high marks for). Law is a very broad based subject and even with a pure science A Level education, you can still get into Law School.

Just choose whichever GCSEs and A Levels you are interested in. I would recommend History, as it is the closest subject to Law. For example, I take History, Lit, Economics and Double Maths for A Levels.... the essay writing skills that I have learnt are really helpful, but they're not directly related to law in any way.
    I agree, when applying for courses at university which you won't necessarily have studied before it's a good idea to take some more academic based subjects at A level, so that you derive skills from them, for example analytical skills from History and language skills from English Lit.

Also I'd recommend that you post your message in the 'Academic Discussions, Exams, Coursework and Homework' Forum as you will probably get a wider response!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baz in year 9)
    i dont mean to be horrible, but im merely playing devil's advocate. firstly, even if it was possible for you to gear your GCSE choices towards law, and if the university you applied to really took notice of your GCSE's, are you sure that in year 9 you have decided what you want to do with the rest of your life? i mean, you wont even have studied law at all yet, so what if you dont like it? i did A-level law, and it was good, a little dry at times, but not how i expected, and i should warn you that my law tutor must have been one of the best in the UK, yet it was still a bit dry!
    i know what subjects i want to do at uni, yet i only really knew in year 12, and i STILL dont know what job i want. fair enough if you really do want this, but i would be careful of gearing your life towards a subject that you may not like, or may just not want to do as a job. i agree with the rest about just gaining a broad education which will allow you to assess your life in say 5 years, and then decide if it is what you want.

PS when i was in year 9, everyone wanted to be a barrister, one of them guys works on a building site now as a labourer!

WOOOOOO 100th POST!!!!

im not saying there is anything wrong with a builder/labourer, but its not exactly a barrister!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.