The Student Room Group

Applying for BM6 ( University of Southampton)

I'm in a position where I don't actually know if I should apply or not :frown: I want to apply for this course as it means the best chance of getting into Medicine, considering my GCSE grades and all. I fulfill the eligibility criteria as I'm not really from a financially stable background and I'm predicted A's and B's for A2, plus I don't think I did particularly well for my AS exams :/ . How hard is it exactly to get onto this course and what can I do possibly do in the situation i'm in right now?

In terms of work experience, I've done 3 weeks at a local care home and I'm planning on getting a week placement at a local hospital. I've also been working at a Health Centre for the past 2 months or so as a part-time receptionist.

If all goes well, I might also consider retaking some of my GCSE's as for a few I was just a few marks shy of an A* and I didn't consider getting them remarked, which was stupid of me.

Kind regards.
Original post by mehraz124
I'm in a position where I don't actually know if I should apply or not :frown: I want to apply for this course as it means the best chance of getting into Medicine, considering my GCSE grades and all. I fulfill the eligibility criteria as I'm not really from a financially stable background and I'm predicted A's and B's for A2, plus I don't think I did particularly well for my AS exams :/ . How hard is it exactly to get onto this course and what can I do possibly do in the situation i'm in right now?

In terms of work experience, I've done 3 weeks at a local care home and I'm planning on getting a week placement at a local hospital. I've also been working at a Health Centre for the past 2 months or so as a part-time receptionist.

If all goes well, I might also consider retaking some of my GCSE's as for a few I was just a few marks shy of an A* and I didn't consider getting them remarked, which was stupid of me.

Kind regards.

Hello!

I am actually on BM6 programme myself. So, it's really cool to talk to students who are considering the same programme. Anyway, to answer your questions:

1.Statistically, it's very competitive to get into BM6 even more so than the BM5 programme because there are more applicants to places. For BM5 its approximately 1 to 7 whereas BM6 is 1 to 22. Don't be alarmed, When I heard that statistic I thought it was so unlikely but as long as you make a solid, well though out application you're good to go.

2. Once you've met the minimum GCSE requirements, it won't give you any advantage having more A/A*s so resitting won't be necessary.

3. Your predictions are fine :biggrin: With BM6 as long as you meet the minimum BBC requirements it won't put you at an advantage or disadvantage having higher predictions so just focus on getting those grades next year :smile:

Also, check out other foundation programmes such as Kings (if you're in London), Manchester and Nottingham.

If you're eligible for BM6 then you should be eligible for the WAMSoc mentoring scheme. A medical student in southampton will mentor you throughout your application. They'll look at your personal statement, do mock interviews with you and just help you with any queries along the way.

PM me for more details :smile:

Also, don't beat yourself up! Medical students come from all backgrounds and have all different experiences. What brings them together is their motivation and ability to be a competent and caring clinician.

Kind Regards,

Mel
Work Experience Lead for WAMSoc
Reply 2
Hey,
Do you have to be from Southampton to be able to apply for BM6?
Reply 3
Original post by Abubakr 7232
Hey,
Do you have to be from Southampton to be able to apply for BM6?

Hi ,

You don't have to be from Southampton to apply for the BM6 route :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by afuturemed
Hi, I have a question about the bm6 program at Southampton. In the 3 question form I just received, I am asked to explain why the bm6 program is right for me. Should I also talk about how being a widening participation student this program would open doors for me or should I strictly stick to only talking about the course structure, location etc

This thread is 6 years old...... @04MR17
Hi, I had a question about the 3 questions form for the bm6.When asked to explain why the bm6 program is right for me should I also include my personal circumstances that prevented me to apply to bm5 or just talk about what I like about 'year 0' (e.g quick clinical exposure and location ect)

Latest