Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Violent images in my head; am I crazy? Watch

sometimes I have really violent thoughts, like I'll see a cat and imagine killing it or imagine killing someone I love or just smashing stuff up... like I don't have urges to do anything like that and I've never done anything violent or aggressive... it's just intrusive thoughts but it really scares me, like am I crazy? am I going to actually do something violent in 5 years time?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    sometimes I have really violent thoughts, like I'll see a cat and imagine killing it or imagine killing someone I love or just smashing stuff up... like I don't have urges to do anything like that and I've never done anything violent or aggressive... it's just intrusive thoughts but it really scares me, like am I crazy? am I going to actually do something violent in 5 years time?
    Bumping now it's been moved back

ReputationRep:
    You're not crazy. You might benefit from talking to a psychiatrist though. Just because you're having intrusive thoughts doesn't mean you want to act on them. All people think of doing terrible things at times, some of us more than others. You need to ask for help though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    This can be a symptom of OCD. It doesn't mean you are crazy or violent. The fact you show distress when you have these sort of intrusive thoughts is a good sign that you are suffering from some kind of anxiety disorder such as OCD and not that you are a violent person in the making. I do recommend you go and get seen by your GP if these thoughts continue though. You would maybe benefit from some kind of therapy, especially if something in your past possibly triggered these kind of thoughts.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.