Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got an a star in GCSE maths and a distinction in additional maths. I am also hoping for an a in my AS maths which I recently took. Despite usually coming out with top grades I would not consider myself a maths genius, and I know many people who could be said to be more naturally gifted than me at maths. I get the feeling computer science is only for super intelligent people who can breeze through a level maths. Is this the case? Would I be good enough to do computer science at Oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    If you get an offer, and then get the grades - yes.

Much the same as any other University course I'd say
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by euan_13)
    I've got an a star in GCSE maths and a distinction in additional maths. I am also hoping for an a in my AS maths which I recently took. Despite usually coming out with top grades I would not consider myself a maths genius, and I know many people who could be said to be more naturally gifted than me at maths. I get the feeling computer science is only for super intelligent people who can breeze through a level maths. Is this the case? Would I be good enough to do computer science at Oxbridge?
    You don't need to be a "maths genius" but the level of mathematical ability they're looking for is high - applicants for Computer Science at Oxford, for instance, sit the same admissions test as those applying for Maths (with a few different questions). None of us can really tell you if you're good enough on the basis of the information you've given us but it is probably true that most successful applicants would not have found A Level Maths too challenging. The best way for you to see if you can make a realistic application is to wait until you get your AS grades and then perhaps look at the admissions test. If you find yourself getting marks around the level that would qualify you for interview, then it's definitely worth applying. Ultimately, you've got 5 choices and if you're in a situation where you're realistically able to consider Oxbridge, you're very likely going to get offers from everywhere or almost everywhere else you apply so there's no harm in applying.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.