Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Following a workout on Thursday which involved squats with weights i have developed great pain in my thighs. It makes it hard to walk up stairs as my quadriceps tense and spasm. Do you have any advice of how to stop the pain so i can continue with life?

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gosh, I did insanity on Wednesday and my legs are in so much pain I don't know how to stop the pain, it seems like resting doesn't do anything, I tried walking a lot and that didn't really help, I tried rolling the muscle on something and that didn't help, I basically have to pause until it goes away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umar39)
    Following a workout on Thursday which involved squats with weights i have developed great pain in my thighs. It makes it hard to walk up stairs as my quadriceps tense and spasm. Do you have any advice of how to stop the pain so i can continue with life?
    Reduce movement where possible, painkillers, deal with the pain.

ReputationRep:
    Ice bath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Oh my gosh, I did insanity on Wednesday and my legs are in so much pain I don't know how to stop the pain, it seems like resting doesn't do anything, I tried walking a lot and that didn't really help, I tried rolling the muscle on something and that didn't help, I basically have to pause until it goes away.
    Foam roller didn't work? Stretch out properly and take pain killers! People always forget to stretch at the end of exercising ://

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umar39)
    Foam roll bro and stretch out the quads. Also, make sure you're hydrated and you've got a balanced diet, sometimes ions imbalances and dehydration contribute to the cramping!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Stretching after workouts. I've also found that protein shakes after a workout have helped with muscle pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zygomaticus)
    Foam roller didn't work? Stretch out properly and take pain killers! People always forget to stretch at the end of exercising ://
    Nope it didn't (but tbh I didn't do it properly so I can't really complain), in the past it did help.

Yes, I didn't stretch properly. A lesson well learnt!
    • Very Important Poster

How fit are you? I mean how used to exercise are you?

Might just be DOMS, which passes.
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/P...-exercise.aspx

It might be an actual injury- you need to be able to tell the difference from sore muscles to an actual injury.

Standard procedure would be to wait a few days and use Rest, ice, compression and elevation.
    You can also use some painkillers like ibuprofen or paracetamol. If it gets worse and doesnt pass or if you think you are injured then go and see a Dr.
    If you are used to exercise, then you understand your body and can identify when soemthing is seriously wrong from when you are just sore.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Sports-.../Symptoms.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Nope it didn't (but tbh I didn't do it properly so I can't really complain), in the past it did help.

Yes, I didn't stretch properly. A lesson well learnt!
    I find that the smoother foam rollers tend to be better. The ones with ridges just hurt and don't really add anything to my recovery!

Indeed, I mean you can avoid the post workout stretch but you'll just be very sore the day after. Leg day usually means hobbling about stretching or otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    So... your legs ache after exercise...?

Sounds like what happens when you exercise. But if you are really concerned then go see a doctor...

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zygomaticus)
    I find that the smoother foam rollers tend to be better. The ones with ridges just hurt and don't really add anything to my recovery!

Indeed, I mean you can avoid the post workout stretch but you'll just be very sore the day after. Leg day usually means hobbling about stretching or otherwise.
    I just get lazy towards the end and can't be arsed to complete the post-workout stretch even though I really should because...well...I want to cut my legs off the next day.

ReputationRep:
    I just get lazy towards the end and can't be arsed to complete the post-workout stretch even though I really should because...well...I want to cut my legs off the next day.
    Some sort of cray workout going on here where legs need chopping off the day after... I get mild to moderate aches, can't say I've ever wanted to take a trip down to orthopaedics so they can saw my leg off 😂 Mind you I don't go down there too often anyway, I've been ridiculed by a few too many orthopods 😭

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.