Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    im on the last step of completing the square when a>1

when multiplying 2 with everything, where did the denominator go from 15/2?and if the denominator was not a 2, let's say it was 15/10, then would that become 15/5? is my logic right or am i missing something

ReputationRep:
    its dominator gets divided so 2/2=1 :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    im on the last step of completing the square when a>1

when multiplying 2 with everything, where did the denominator go from 15/2?and if the denominator was not a 2, let's say it was 15/10, then would that become 15/5? is my logic right or am i missing something
    The 2 at the front is to multiply everything. So 2 x 15/2 = 15.

But you're learning how to do this by working from the marking scheme?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    The 2 at the front is to multiply everything. So 2 x 15/2 = 15.

But you're learning how to do this by working from the marking scheme?
    no im learning C1 and C2 from the wjec revision and study guide along with my notes from the step-up classes and youtube videos and TSR xD

ReputationRep:
    If you have a general quadratic
     \displaystyle ax^2 + bx + c when completing the square you get  \displaystyle a(x^2+\frac{b}{a}x) + c \equiv a \left (x^2+\frac{b}{2a} \right )^2 + c- \frac{b^2}{4a} .
    So if you have
     y=2x^2+8x+10 you complete the square as follows
     y=2(x^2+4x)+10 \Rightarrow y=2(x+2)^2+10 -2(4) .
    You multiply the 4 by 2 as there is a 2 out front to the left of the brackets.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    its dominator gets divided so 2/2=1 :unsure:
    i see, im not used to multiplying out like this never seen anything like it at gcse :cry:
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    I mean... you kinda double 15 halves... that's like doubling a halve, then multiplying that 15 times....

When you multiply everything by 2, the 15/2 goes to (15x2)/2 where the 2's cancel. Surely you should know this without question?

ReputationRep:
    i see, im not used to multiplying out like this never seen anything like it at gcse :cry:
    OMGGGG its GCSEs that means i still can do it :ahee: its just like you 2*15/2

ReputationRep:
    2 x 15/2....

Trying writing 2 as 2/1.

So this becomes 2/1 x 15/2

Top times top over bottom times bottom. Try cross-cancelling first to see why the 2 disappears though.

So many pupils of your level have such poor fraction skills! (No offence, just an observation).
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    2 x 15/2....

Trying writing 2 as 2/1.

Top times top over bottom times bottom. Try cross-cancelling first to see why the 2 disappears though.

So many pupils of your level have such poor fraction skills! (No offence, just an observation).
    I'm more surprised by the "never seen anything like it at gcse".. I've done my GCSE's just over 2 years ago and this should be common knowledge, shouldn't it? I'm pretty sure pupils are expected to multiply fractions in one way or another.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    2 x 15/2....

Trying writing 2 as 2/1.

i know, fractions scare me, especially those equationsName:  Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 23.17.42.png
Views: 103
Size:  18.8 KB
    i had a question similar to this in my gcse and i was all over the place, to this day i still dont know how you would solve these things, like what do you do with the 31/6 denominator???

(Original post by RDKGames)
    I mean... you kinda double 15 halves... that's like doubling a halve, then multiplying that 15 times....

When you multiply everything by 2, the 15/2 goes to (15x2)/2 where the 2's cancel. Surely you should know this without question?
    i understand it now that you've written it like (15x2)/2, because in my head i saw it as (15x2)/(2x2)
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    i know, fractions scare me, especially those equationsName:  Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 23.17.42.png
    i had a question similar to this in my gcse and i was all over the place, to this day i still dont know how you would solve these things, like what do you do with the 31/6 denominator???

i understand it now that you've written it like (15x2)/2, because in my head i saw it as (15x2)/(2x2)
    I see. When multiplying a fraction by an integer, only the numerator gets multiplied. When a fraction is multiplied by a fraction, the numerators and denominators multiply respectively.

However if you add fractions, you want to get them under the same denominator in which case you are free to combine them. In the example you posted, you only need to multiply the first term by 3 (top and bottom) and the second by 2. The reason behind multiplying numerator AND denominator is so you can preserve the equality of the quantity (or keep the value of the expression the same), while maintaining a different denominator. Now you have everything over 6 at which point you just multiply throughout by 6 which makes the fractions cancel and then you're dealing with a simple linear equation.

Once you get better, you'll just realise that you can simply multiply the whole equation by 6. As 2 and 3 are factors of 6, they will go away and you will be left with no different denominators.

ReputationRep:

When there are fractions in denominators it is best just to multiply by the denominator of the fraction in the denominator - if that makes sense.
    So  \displaystyle \frac{6}{2/31} = \frac{6\times 31 }{\frac{2}{31} \times 31}= 93 .
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I see. When multiplying a fraction by an integer, only the numerator gets multiplied. When a fraction is multiplied by a fraction, the numerators and denominators multiply respectively.

However if you add fractions, you want to get them under the same denominator in which case you are free to combine them. In the example you posted, you only need to multiply the first term by 3 (top and bottom) and the second by 2. The reason behind multiplying numerator AND denominator is so you can preserve the equality of the quantity (or keep the value of the expression the same), while maintaining a different denominator. Now you have everything over 6 at which point you just multiply throughout by 6 which makes the fractions cancel and then you're dealing with a simple linear equation.
    (Original post by B_9710)
    When there are fractions in denominators it is best just to multiply by the denominator of the fraction in the denominator - if that makes sense.
    So  \displaystyle \frac{6}{2/31} = \frac{6\times 31 }{\frac{2}{31} \times 31}= 93 .
    thank you!!! i get a lot of things but it's these small things that gets blurry as more information pile in
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Once you get better, you'll just realise that you can simply multiply the whole equation by 6. As 2 and 3 are factors of 6, they will go away and you will be left with no different denominators.
    can you check if this is correct
    simplify:
    2+√5 / 3-√5

i got 11+5√5 / 4
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    can you check if this is correct
    simplify:
    2+√5 / 3-√5

i got 11+5√5 / 4
    Yep.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.