Petition to invoke article 50 immediately

Watch
RoyalMarine
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/133618
Politicians are delaying on purpouse hoping the UK will not leave the EU. Even Gove has said he will not invoke article 50 of the Lisbon treaty this year, then the UK would leave the EU at best in 2019 or later. They want to delay till the UK won't leave at all the EU. Sign this petition to invoke article 50 now and to respect democracy.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Or we could wait until we've got a functioning government
Naveed-7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I dont know mate. Maybe we should wait until the new leader is elected. We also need to do new deals. After that, we can start thinking about a petition.
tengentoppa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And why would we want to invoke article 50 now and set the clock ticking on negotiations when we don't know who is going to lead us into those negotiations, or what our priorities and strategies are going to be?

It would be moronic and the only ones pushing for this are the EU states, like France and Belgium, who want punitive action for the UK leaving. Those who are more sympathetic and want a good trade deal, like Germany and the Nordic states, understand why we are waiting.

It has nothing to do with democracy, we will be leaving anyway. It's just common sense.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
or we could wait until we have a PM ready to negotiate and they have a clear idea of what they want.
Invoking it now would be a thoroughly dumb idea.

Your suggestuin is a good way to screw the country and gain the least advantageous position possible. Well done.
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The delay shows Leavers had no plan for the country after Brexit. They are floundering around and delaying things because they are too scared to make a decision.
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
The delay shows Leavers had no plan for the country after Brexit. They are floundering around and delaying things because they are too scared to make a decision.
The problem with that argument is leavers aren't in charge of leaving now it is in the hand of the government who failed to create a plan for the referendum going their way
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by joecphillips)
The problem with that argument is leavers aren't in charge of leaving now it is in the hand of the government who failed to create a plan for the referendum going their way

The government did not want to leave so why would it create a leave plan?

Anyway, if the government did have a leave plan, Leavers would claim it was a plot to thwart them and make Leave more difficult because they are paranoid and ignore the plan because it was done by experts..
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
The government did not want to leave so why would it create a leave plan?

Anyway, if the government did have a leave plan, Leavers would claim it was a plot to thwart them and make Leave more difficult because they are paranoid and ignore the plan because it was done by experts..
Why should the government make a plan in case something doesn't go the way they want, is that a serious question?
The answer is that it is their job to do so believe it or not leaving is a pretty big event and having a plan is always a good idea to deal with big events like this.
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why should the government make a plan in case something doesn't go the way they want, is that a serious question?
The answer is that it is their job to do so believe it or not leaving is a pretty big event and having a plan is always a good idea to deal with big events like this.
Typical Leaver, always wants someone else to clear up the mess for them. Just grow a pair and get on with it or else tell the country you are clueless and give it back to the grown ups.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Come on, its nowhere near as simple as that.

Firstly, the Leave campaign plainly did have a mandate to have a plan as to what to do afterwards. How can you possibly campaign for something, when you don't know what you're campaigning for? Common market, no common market, contributions to the EU or not, a whole host of regulation-related questions. Which one did you want the government to prepare for? Its not like the Leave campaign exactly made this clear. The mandate from voters is now simply 'leave the EU'. That can mean anything.

Even if you did know the plan, the list of things that will need to be done now is mind boggling - we've got years of hugely long and expensive negotiations with the EU, we'll be sifting through thousands of EU laws to see which to keep, working out the Scotland question, working out the Northern Ireland question (including ?new peace process and erection of a 'hard' border with border guards etc), working out the Gibraltar question, negotiating all these new international trade deals we now need... this is again many millions of man-hours work and will be swamping us in bureaucracy for years. This is going to take years and not something that could be done pre-referendum.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Firstly, the Leave campaign plainly did have a mandate to have a plan as to what to do afterwards.
There was no mandate. The referendum was about only one thing "Should we stay or leave?" All the promises, dreams, policies, scare mongering - all pie-in-the-sky to get you to vote Remain or Leave.

There is no mandate. There is no manifesto. Only Remain or Leave. If you want a mandate, you should be calling for a general election.
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
Typical Leaver, always wants someone else to clear up the mess for them. Just grow a pair and get on with it or else tell the country you are clueless and give it back to the grown ups.
Give me the power to actually be in charge of leaving the eu and i will do that but i do not have the power so any plan i make would be useless, you do know who has the power the government that is why it is their job to have a plan they are the only people who can invoke article 50 and leave
ckfeister
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Done
redwhiteandbrit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But in case you haven't noticed, the government, and even shadow government is in turmoil and facing massive upheaval... Cameron took defeat on the chin and is stepping down to allow someone more-Brexit-oriented to run the country "how the people want"...

Give it time. I am by no means an advocate of Brexit but the UK is doing the best it can to make plans to survive outside the EU, and this requires time and patience!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Come on, its nowhere near as simple as that.

Firstly, the Leave campaign plainly did have a mandate to have a plan as to what to do afterwards. How can you possibly campaign for something, when you don't know what you're campaigning for? Common market, no common market, contributions to the EU or not, a whole host of regulation-related questions. Which one did you want the government to prepare for? Its not like the Leave campaign exactly made this clear. The mandate from voters is now simply 'leave the EU'. That can mean anything.

Even if you did know the plan, the list of things that will need to be done now is mind boggling - we've got years of hugely long and expensive negotiations with the EU, we'll be sifting through thousands of EU laws to see which to keep, working out the Scotland question, working out the Northern Ireland question (including ?new peace process and erection of a 'hard' border with border guards etc), working out the Gibraltar question, negotiating all these new international trade deals we now need... this is again many millions of man-hours work and will be swamping us in bureaucracy for years. This is going to take years and not something that could be done pre-referendum.
From what you have stated only eu negotiations and creating trade deals need doing now.

Scotland are always asking for a referendum and even the snp aren't talking about doing it tomorrow so we have time there.

Eu legislation will remain in place until it is either repealed or some legislation supersedes it.

The Northern Ireland problems will stem from the Eu negotiations so that will have to wait but we should plan for the worst.

Gibraltar once again plan for the worst but it depends on the Eu negotiations.

The government should of planned for the worst case scenario.
M14B
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In my opinion all these delays are very suspect.
JordanL_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by M14B)

Nobody wants to be responsible for ****ing up the country, there's nothing suspect about it.
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by M14B)
There is more Chicken in the Tory cabinet than a dozen KFC restaurants.
999tigger
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by M14B)
Why?

To unravel yourself from an organisation you have been involved with for 40 years is extremely complicated. Perhaps Brexuters might decide what their stragey is going to be and what they will and wont accpet in terms of free movement, ths single market , contributions and immigration. Pointless to start the clock ticking until they know.

To do otherwise would just be plain dumb.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (107)
13.49%
I'm not sure (36)
4.54%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (242)
30.52%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.52%
I'm not a current university student (388)
48.93%

Watched Threads