Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you judge people for their hobbies/interests? Watch

Hello Ladies and Gents!So, as the title suggests do you judge people by their hobbies/interests? The reason I ask is sometimes when people ask me about my interests or learn more about my interests it seems for some people after finding out there's a bit of judging going on.Like I'm a male at Uni, so you've got the classic Ice Breaker stuff, and when I say stuff like football, politics, playing video games etc. And from some of the lasses I've been speaking to from that moment seem to act around me differently.Like I'm not a party person, and am not going to lie I'm a pretty big nerd, but I'm not ashamed of it at all, and of course I have other interests and such but it seems that for some lasses when they find out a few of my interests/hobbies they seem to act differently towards me.So, do you the good people of TSR judge people by their hobbies/interests in terms of potential relationships? And do any of you have a similar experience?

ReputationRep:
    Why what are your hobbies?
    It's not larping, is it? If not, then you're fine

ReputationRep:
    i judge them by their character but before judging, i spend a good amount of time with them :getmecoat:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    please dont hate me for this :plz2:

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello Ladies and Gents!So, as the title suggests do you judge people by their hobbies/interests? The reason I ask is sometimes when people ask me about my interests or learn more about my interests it seems for some people after finding out there's a bit of judging going on.Like I'm a male at Uni, so you've got the classic Ice Breaker stuff, and when I say stuff like football, politics, playing video games etc. And from some of the lasses I've been speaking to from that moment seem to act around me differently.Like I'm not a party person, and am not going to lie I'm a pretty big nerd, but I'm not ashamed of it at all, and of course I have other interests and such but it seems that for some lasses when they find out a few of my interests/hobbies they seem to act differently towards me.So, do you the good people of TSR judge people by their hobbies/interests in terms of potential relationships? And do any of you have a similar experience?
    Yes, I do - because a lot of people's "hobbies" are empty things that are just ways they can passively waste their time. For example:
    • Football: for most people this means swilling cheap lager and watching the box for a couple of hours, attaching some grave and profound meaning to what colour T-shirt someone is wearing and which side of a field a ball spends most of its time in.
    • Politics: everyone and his mother is interested in politics at the moment, in that they spend all too much time watching the news and shouting about the government did the wrong thing - whoever's in power and whatever they've done.
    • Video games: could mean anything - we could be talking football games, RPGs, or Candy Crush.
    Together, these things show me that you're a Consumer who's almost certainly boring to be around; talking to you would involve arguing in circles about things that barely matter and doing things that mean even less.

ReputationRep:
    Yes everyone will make at least a sub conscious judgement

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why as everyone has different interests. Its fine as long as someone's hobby isn't too weird or crazy.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what the hobbies/ interests are tbh.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.