Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to get my first summer job and was wondering if the employers actually check up on the information like grades?

(I have decent grades but I desperately need a job so I thought maybe exaggerating a bit would help me get it faster?)

ReputationRep:
    Your grades won't be a factor, but don't lie about them. Lying on your CV will mean that you could be done for fraud if they find out that the information is incorrect.
    Also pretending to be a different person isn't a good idea, your employer will want to know who you are, and if you lie you could lose your job, as you wouldn't fit in to what they're after 99% of the time, but little lies won't be detected, just don't lie about grades etc

ReputationRep:
    really depends what you are applying for

but assuming for a typical retail job then no they do not really ask as long as you've passed maths and english that is all that really matters to them really - also some places ask you to take a simple maths test (rarely) just in case.

In my CV i just stated that i've got " 10 A-C gcse grades including maths and english " - mainly just because I feel it takes too much space on my CV

ReputationRep:
    There's a difference between exaggerating and lying. You can make yourself look good on your CV but lying about your grades is wrong and ultimately pointless if you're looking for a typical summer job, companies like Tesco and Sainsbury's aren't going to care that you have GCSEs and A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    You want a summer job, I'm guessing you want a generic one like retail or waitressing. They don't care. Unless you're bumping Maths, English or Science up to a C from a D (some places have this minimum), then it doesn't matter. What they care about it experience, exaggerate that instead.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by jasmine321)
    I wanted to get my first summer job and was wondering if the employers actually check up on the information like grades?

(I have decent grades but I desperately need a job so I thought maybe exaggerating a bit would help me get it faster?)
    Grades aren't relevant to getting a summer job, so there is no point lying about them. Being fired for lying on your application will be very damaging.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.