Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is that above average or below?

Depends on your course.

ReputationRep:
    Generally speaking, 64% as a first year average is good; it's a 2:1. It will be even better if the grades are consistent 2:1s as opposed to some 40s/50s and 70s averaging out in the 60s.

ReputationRep:
    First year doesnt really matter, just focus on getting the technique right for second and third year. I see many people do well in first year (65%+) and flop second and third year because first year is basically A-level/slightly above A-level standard.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how much effort you put in and what course you're doing.
    I'd be really happy with 64 if I'd coasted through first year on the basis of it not counting, and I had a lot of room for improvement, but less so if I put in loads of work and I was doing a course where 70+ marks were common. *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hoffman)
    Depends on your course.
    I study law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hann95)
    Generally speaking, 64% as a first year average is good; it's a 2:1. It will be even better if the grades are consistent 2:1s as opposed to some 40s/50s and 70s averaging out in the 60s.
    I got one first, four 2.1s and sadly one 2.2. *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by england100)
    Is that above average or below?
    Thats a good score, well done.*

What course and what Uni? Would provide more context as to how difficult the course was.*

ReputationRep:
    I got one first, four 2.1s and sadly one 2.2. *
    That's fairly consistent. If you aim for 2:1s and 1sts next year it will make it look more likely that the 2:2 was a blip, but otherwise it's a solid first year

I study law
    I meant where you study law, what type of law, what type of law modules you've undertaken. There are too many variables to consider in order to conclude 64% is a good score, an average score, and a below average score.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.