Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Kinda new on this website so sorry if I don't pick up on the etiquette!

Just wondering if this happens to anyone else
    So I've always been relatively shallow sleeper, I can go to sleep in seconds and wake up from tiny things, like my radiator churning or my cat meowing outside.

Anyway, recently I've been waking up and not remembering anything that happened, for example I went to sleep tonight and woke up about 30 mins ago. I got worried and kinda annoyed my boyfriend didn't call me to tell me night (it's just a thing we do..I know I'm a little bit petty). So I call him and wake him up...turns out he did call me, so earlier in the night I woke up, answered my phone and had a full conversation with him lasting a good few minutes without remembering a thing? I know it's not sleep talking because sometimes I do remember little things but not specifics, like it happened the other day and I just remembered that I woke up an someone was speaking to me but that was about it.
    These instances are happening more and more often and i'm getting so confused
    Any idea or am I just massively overreacting and this is normal?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm well would you consider a visit to the doctors?
    I think that's the best solution if your really concerned by it.
    Ice not heard of anything like this before (well I say that but have experienced it myself). I will wake up completely forgetting things that happened recently.
    So you're not alone there, I'm not really sure what to suggest other than to visit your doctor and see what they have to say.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by kizzlekat)
    Hey,Kinda new on this website so sorry if I don't pick up on the etiquette! Just wondering if this happens to anyone else So I've always been relatively shallow sleeper, I can go to sleep in seconds and wake up from tiny things, like my radiator churning or my cat meowing outside. Anyway, recently I've been waking up and not remembering anything that happened, for example I went to sleep tonight and woke up about 30 mins ago. I got worried and kinda annoyed my boyfriend didn't call me to tell me night (it's just a thing we do..I know I'm a little bit petty). So I call him and wake him up...turns out he did call me, so earlier in the night I woke up, answered my phone and had a full conversation with him lasting a good few minutes without remembering a thing? I know it's not sleep talking because sometimes I do remember little things but not specifics, like it happened the other day and I just remembered that I woke up an someone was speaking to me but that was about it. These instances are happening more and more often and i'm getting so confused Any idea or am I just massively overreacting and this is normal?
    No this isn't normal in my experience and it sounds like you're not falling into the usual deep sleep. Unless you're taking any medication prior to this happening. Book an appointment ASAP and see your GP.

Something is happening in your mind/body and causing retrograde/anterograde amnesia along with the unusual/forced sleep cycles. It could just be sleep deprivation (there's various stages of sleep, if you're missing out on it then your brain is eventually forced to whether you like it or not - that's when you suddenly wake up without realising what's going on or not realising that you were sleeping in the first place - weird **** starts to happen), but even then, you'd still need to get checked out.

Take it seriously, accidents can happen in these cases and have happened to others that were eventually diagnosed with some sort of sleeping disorder.

kizzlekat
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I get this a lot, confuse dreams with reality and stuff too when I'm like that and other stuff. That and just generally very very disorientated- if I send messages like that I usually have no recollection of it but scare the other person with the random jumble I come out with that apparently makes perfect sense to me but yeah I don't know what it's called, and have severe insomnia and a load of other health stuff so always just put it down to that :dontknow:

This is me to the T! I've had conversations with people for a long time and the next morning not realise that I've spoken to them!

Or I speak and tell them everything stuff I've been trying to keep hidden and it comes out without any prompting! But I have insomnia for the past 4 years so when I do sleep I don't sleep well.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like i'm gonna go to my GP then :/ Yeah I do also get these times where when I wake up I don't remember going to sleep or even going to my bed, but I think I've half solved that by giving myself a bedtime. It's also good to know i'm not alone with this one, but unlike you lot I definitely don't have insomnia. Thanks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.