Reading (the uni)? Watch

This discussion is closed.
loftx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
They've made me an offer for clearing - does anyone have any opinions on the course (economics and maths) or the university itself?

Thanks

Tom
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
They've made me an offer for clearing - does anyone have any opinions on the course (economics and maths) or the university itself?

Thanks

Tom
I live in Reading and have been to the university quite a few times (though never been to the economics/maths departments). Its a nice place, big green campus, friendly, good students union (and if you get bored there the town centre has hundreds of pubs/bars/clubs - whatever takes your fancy!). The only thing it lacks is sports facilities (but the whole of Reading lacks that). They do have plans to put a 50m swimming pool in though. I did apply for a place there to do chemistry (but as a back up cos I had a guarenteed offer there due to a compact scheme I did with them), and if i didn't live in Reading, there's a good chance I would have chosen it as a firm or acceptance. Reading isn't a big place, and the Uni isn't far out from the town centre. If you have more specific questions, I'm happy to help as much as I can!!!
onlywee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by loftx)

Thanks

Tom
I live here too. The Uni is lovely (previously an Oxford college i hear), and the union gets big bands playing etc. My school's just up the road from it so i know the area very well. Town is good, loads of pubs etc and also the Oracle shopping centre, which is the best place to be for cinema, shopping, eating out etc.

I don't know about the course cos after living here for 18 years i wanted to move away for uni.

have a look here

http://education.guardian.co.uk/high...490767,00.html

http://education.guardian.co.uk/high....html?start=40

If you don't live too far away i suggest you visit before putting it down for sure.
loftx
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Thanks for you help both of you - I only live 50 mins or so away so will probably check it out.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by onlywee)
I don't know about the course cos after living here for 18 years i wanted to move away for uni.
Same here!!! Applying there was just a back up!!!
M_C
Report 15 years ago
It was my firm choice and I got in uni nerves now..and hey I thought Reading (the uni) was good for sports :: scratches head ::
Ollie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by M_C)
It was my firm choice and I got in uni nerves now..and hey I thought Reading (the uni) was good for sports :: scratches head ::
not sure but reading has a brilliant festival which im going to yay!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
not sure but reading has a brilliant festival which im going to yay!
i love you ollie. your so finnneeee

bbllloodhound
reading_student
Report 14 years ago
Well I've wandered into this site so I thought I may as well give my 2 cents. I'm about half way through my first year at Reading, doing BA Ancient History and History.

Yeah the campus is nice and big and green. But the buildings are hella ugly with only one or two notable exceptions. Many of the teaching blocks were knocked up in the 50s and 60s and are feeling pretty shabby by now, be warned - Oxbridge it isn't. The union is said to be one of the plushest in the country, but that comes at a price. The price is £4 for a double voddy and red bull. Madness, for a union ours is daylight robbery. As for decent bands, I haven't seen any; so far we've had Mark Own and the Cheeky Girls. Unforgivable.

Teaching standards are high. We're not one of the top unis in the country, but we're not far off.

Accomodation varies enormously. It is almost all on or immediately next to the campus (except Sibly and belive me you should not ever ever EVER consider living there it's awful) As a rule of thumb (and this goes for almost any uni) the smaller the hall the better. So avoid: Windsor, Bridges, Childs, Wells, the aforementioned Sibly (eurgh, terrible places) Whiteknights, St Georges, St Pat's are okay. But they pale into insignificance when compared to my hall: the mighty WANTAGE.

I'm not kidding. If anybody reading this actually decides on Reading Uni, apply to Wantage. The building is beautiful (grade II listed) the rooms start at larger-than-average and go all the way up to HUUUGGGEEE. Our bar is excellent and actually has people in it most of the time (a lot of hall bars are seriously dead) We get six amazing formal dinners a year plus a myriad of other events. And hall spirit is fantastic. I can't imagine being at uni and not living there, I've recently applied to go back in next year, that's how much I love the place

Reading town is.... dull. Sorry, lots of bars, few good ones and no real clubs. (a bar with a DJ is not a club in my eyes, so Po Na Na doesn't count, nor does Risa) I'm pretty bored and I'd rather be living in a real city. Reading is not a rough town, although there's plenty of mugging around the uni area. I'm going to study abroad at some point just to get away. Don't get me wrong, it's nicer than a lot of places, but I'm a big city kid and and I'm bored here.

Guess that about wraps it up. Questions?
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by reading_student)
Guess that about wraps it up. Questions?
Do you do part time jobs?
How much does it pay?
Do you really need it?
Free time?
loftx
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Thanks for such an informative post, the only problem is - this was around 4 months ago, and I now study at Essex. It's a good review though - would you mind if I use it on my website? (see link in sig)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (192)
18.66%
No (624)
60.64%
Not really bothered about them (213)
20.7%

Watched Threads