Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This post might sound familliar to you, but I really need help.

Hi, I just got my results, it said I failed my 3rd year. After attempting my 1st and 2nd year twice, I thought I had changed, I thought I had it sorted out, I even went as far as drawing up plans with the hope that I would at least get a 2.2, but the more exams I took, the more obvious it was that won’t make it.

I cried so badly during one of my last exams, because I knew failing that Exam was the nail in the coffin for me.

What pissed me off the most is that out of the 4 of 7 modules I failed, my Project was one of them. I remember investing every week to making sure that it was all done. The only thing I know I screwed up in the project was my Interim Report, I never had a chance to review the distribution of other marks before the end of the year. My supervisor, didn't help me much on the questions I was to expect for the Vivo-Examination or the credibility of my report.

The modules I failed, which I hated, I can't change them for the retake, even when I believe that they weren't organised proparly.

I'm going to now spend 6 years doing a 3 year course, and it just feels frustrating knowing that most of the students that I started with have moved on and I have to share lecture halls with people that are about 3 years younger than me on average,I'll be 26 at the end of this month and the thought of it makes me feel like I've wasted my time. I had 7 modules for each academic year, but It's almost like I can't do more than 4 or 5 a year.

Unlike previous years, I hardly if not never did any social activities for my 3rd, I was more introverted(especially after most of the people I first knew at uni had moved on), I started finding clubbing and social societies pointless, I went no where because I had no one to go with, I spent most of my time in doors or at uni computer rooms, giving me more time to every coursework I had to do. I wanted to start studying for my Exams during the Spring Break but the Coursework and Project work I had, made it very difficult for me to do so.
    Because I'm not eligible for student loans, everything that I need for Uni is paid by my parents, accommodation, tuition and extra money for allowance(which I use to buy food), because of that they've totally spent 10 of 1000s of pounds to keep me in Uni all these years. Because they strongly believe in my need for the undergrad Degree, they're willing to spend more, despite the fact that we moved to a new house around Autumn 2015 and they've been talking about still needing to pay debts for the house. I have a strong feeling that they'll pay them somehow, but I don't want to slow them down.

I'm considering quitting Uni, because I feel like I don't deserve it, also I've always had a feeling that the course(BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering) wasn't for me, but I knew that with my Pre-Uni Background I couldn't take any other course in any other Uni, so that's why I kept doing it.

I know most people in my situation would quit, especially people that are concerned about money, that's why I feel like quitting, especially because 90% of the lectures I attend a boring and I don't see how they'll help me in future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kenni12)
    I'm going to now spend 6 years doing a 3 year course, and it just feels frustrating knowing that most of the students that I started with have moved on and I have to share lecture halls with people that are about 3 years younger than me on average,I'll be 26 at the end of this month and the thought of it makes me feel like I've wasted my my time
    I have lived through the same feeling of frustration and inadequacy. But please listen to me, since I talk from experience. There are certain life experiences that seem so immense at the moment they occur, and the youthful inexperience to see the bigger picture may cloud judgement and compromise reactions. But later in life, these moments reveal themselves as having been so trivial not to even warrant being a footnote in the story of your life. However, there are certain mistakes in life that NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU LIVE, YOU WILL NEVER GET OVER MAKING THEM, and the consequences of their effects will haunt you throughout the remainder of your time on this planet. One such mistake is quitting halfway through Uni. I beg you not to make this mistake. There is a reason why the temptation is so strong; the consequences are life-long.

I'm considering quitting Uni,
    I can't stress strongly enough how much you should erase this from your list of options.
    because I feel like I don't deserve it,
    This kind of self-loathing does you no good at all, as much as it may delude you with an emotional easy-way-out excuse
    also I've always had a feeling that the course(BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering) wasn't for me, but I knew that with my Pre-Uni Background I couldn't take any other course in any other Uni, so that's why I kept doing it.
    Nonsense. You've made it to 3rd year. You should have dropped this attitude by now.
    I know most people in my situation would quit,
    I'm not sure you're right. But most people are also not millionaires. Most people struggle to make ends meet.
    Especially because 90% of the lectures I attend a boring
    Lectures are not there to entertain you. Here I would just give you some tough love and urge that you apply a little real-life maturity.
    and I don't see how they'll help me in future.
    If you think Education won't help you in the future, try ignorance!
    Again, DO NOT QUIT!!PLEASE
    Wishing you all the best!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kendrik Lamar)
    I have lived through the same feeling of frustration and inadequacy. But please listen to me, since I talk from experience. There are certain life experiences that seem so immense at the moment they occur, and the youthful inexperience to see the bigger picture may cloud judgement and compromise reactions. But later in life, these moments reveal themselves as having been so trivial not to even warrant being a footnote in the story of your life. However, there are certain mistakes in life that NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU LIVE, YOU WILL NEVER GET OVER MAKING THEM, and the consequences of their effects will haunt you throughout the remainder of your time on this planet. One such mistake is quitting halfway through Uni. I beg you not to make this mistake. There is a reason why the temptation is so strong; the consequences are life-long.

I can't stress strongly enough how much you should erase this from your list of options.

This kind of self-loathing does you no good at all, as much as it may delude you with an emotional easy-way-out excuse

Nonsense. You've made it to 3rd year. You should have dropped this attitude by now.

I'm not sure you're right. But most people are also not millionaires. Most people struggle to make ends meet.

Lectures are not there to entertain you. Here I would just give you some tough love and urge that you apply a little real-life maturity.

If you think Education won't help you in the future, try ignorance!
    Again, DO NOT QUIT!!PLEASE
    Wishing you all the best!!
    OK, thank you for your advice..

ReputationRep:
    I feel in a similar situation. I know I can do it but at the moment I feel like it's too hard. There's too much to remember. So what happened with uni Kenni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soulspeed)
    I feel in a similar situation. I know I can do it but at the moment I feel like it's too hard. There's too much to remember. So what happened with uni Kenni?
    Well, I continued like Kendrick adviced and now that I'm at my last term of my degree(i.e.3rd term) I don't feel as bad as I 1st did when I started this thread.

it's just that this 1 module I'm doing feels difficult, in the sence that I can't tell whether it's because of the lecturer or the module itself, so I'm trying different ways to be on track with it on my own. Any advice for dealing with unhelpful lecturers?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry mate I haven't.

I'm finding it all difficult to remember everything. I need tips on how to remember theories, factual stuff is alright, it's just theories. I suppose you just have to keep reading till it sinks in but I was wondering if there was any tips here for remembering theories (not factual stuff) psychological theories using flash cards perhaps?

DO NOT QUIT!!!!
    Why should you be embarrasses at all?Why are you worried about what other ppl say?
    Its about how capable u are.DO NOT QUIT UNI.Continue until u achieve your dreams....!I respect you.Do you know why?
    Because what u have is true determination
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Well, I continued like Kendrick adviced and now that I'm at my last term of my degree(i.e.3rd term) I don't feel as bad as I 1st did when I started this thread.

it's just that this 1 module I'm doing feels difficult, in the sence that I can't tell whether it's because of the lecturer or the module itself, so I'm trying different ways to be on track with it on my own. Any advice for dealing with unhelpful lecturers?
    It depends why you feel they're unhelpful, but it might help to try to see it from their point of view. They will have had hundreds of students who did understand the work, and who did manage to submit it by the required deadlines. They've probably had a few who had difficulties but explained the issues and worked through it. Then they've got you, who thinks that things are boring and won't help them in future.
    Why should they help you, and not the students who are genuinely grateful? Some students are doing anything they can to pass, and actually want this degree. Some will be working second jobs or surviving on 50p per meal. You're just :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ing coasting on your parents' income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    It depends why you feel they're unhelpful, but it might help to try to see it from their point of view. They will have had hundreds of students who did understand the work, and who did manage to submit it by the required deadlines. They've probably had a few who had difficulties but explained the issues and worked through it.
    You can say that for the other modules, but trust me, this module I'm doing is a whole lot different than the others I've done in the past, here are ideas about what I mean:
    • Last year(my 1st attempt of the module) the average mark in the tests involved was 30%.
    • Unlike most of my other lecturers, he doesn't have well structured notes/tutorials of his own to read and solely depend on.
    • Unlike for most of my other modules, he never gave us answers to the past exam questions.
    • Past students of this module said that they were even lucky to fail the module and still move on to the next year/stage.
    • There's no student I spoke to that had much good to say about it.
    • For some reason when I do one-on-one with him and ask him to give me something to solve, so that he can watch me solve it while helping/correcting me along the way, he acts like he didn't hear what I just told him and changes the subject of conversation.
    • He gives us hard tutorial questions without being specific about whether the solutions would be out and how.
    • When I ask him for a final answer to a problem/question he gives us in class, to make it easier for me to know whether I'm using a sensible method to solve it (not the full solution, just that one number we're meant to get at the end), he doesn't give me/us the answer or tell me why not when I ask(after all I know some other lecturers that would).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You can say that for the other modules, but trust me, this module I'm doing is a whole lot different than the others I've done in the past, here are ideas about what I mean:
    • Last year(my 1st attempt of the module) the average mark in the tests involved was 30%.
    • Unlike most of my other lecturers, he doesn't have well structured notes/tutorials of his own to read and solely depend on.
    • Unlike for most of my other modules, he never gave us answers to the past exam questions.
    • Past students of this module said that they were even lucky to fail the module and still move on to the next year/stage.
    • There's no student I spoke to that had much good to say about it.
    • For some reason when I do one-on-one with him and ask him to give me something to solve, so that he can watch me solve it while helping/correcting me along the way, he acts like he didn't hear what I just told him and changes the subject of conversation.
    • He gives us hard tutorial questions without being specific about whether the solutions would be out and how.
    • When I ask him for a final answer to a problem/question he gives us in class, to make it easier for me to know whether I'm using a sensible method to solve it (not the full solution, just that one number we're meant to get at the end), he doesn't give me/us the answer or tell me why not when I ask(after all I know some other lecturers that would).
    Awwwww, poor you *hugs*

Now we've done the sympathy, how exactly has that helped? It hasn't. You're still in the same situation you were before, and you're blaming everyone else so won't even get out of it. The world isn't against you. Look at your own behaviour because you can't change anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Awwwww, poor you *hugs*

Now we've done the sympathy, how exactly has that helped? It hasn't. You're still in the same situation you were before, and you're blaming everyone else so won't even get out of it. The world isn't against you. Look at your own behaviour because you can't change anyone else.
    I'm not asking for "sympathy", I'm asking for suggestions. Suggestions on how I can sort it myself.

If you don't have any say so, rather than starting off with being condesending.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'm not asking for "sympathy", I'm asking for suggestions. Suggestions on how I can sort it myself.

If you don't have any say so, rather than starting off with being condesending.
    I did he you a suggestion - and the only one that will ever work. You just don't want to hear it because you're convinced the world is against you. You have a lot of growing up to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I did he you a suggestion - and the only one that will ever work. You just don't want to hear it because you're convinced the world is against you. You have a lot of growing up to do.
    "Look at my own behaviour"?, how specifically in this case can I do that?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    "Look at my own behaviour"?, how specifically in this case can I do that?
    You've already failed your first and second years. That shows it really isn't just this lecturer that's the problem. But you're blaming him, rather than yourself. You're writing long lists about how someone else is at fault. Well, even if they are, how does that explain the other 20+ bad modules?

You can either change your own behaviour, or keep failing because everyone else is the problem. But you're not eligible for finance, so if you choose the latter option you're making a very expensive mistake.

But I realise I'm just going to be put in the same pile as "everyone else" and be declared wrong, too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.