Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys how do I go about drawing the graph on the left hand side? (mod x/x+2)

Cheers!

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1467459736.037300.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  89.8 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Draw y = x/(x-2) and apply the modulus to the graph.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by iMacJack)
    Hey guys how do I go about drawing the graph on the left hand side? (mod x/x+2)

Cheers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You just need to draw the ordinary graph for \frac{x}{x+2} and then flip any negative parts around the x axis.

ReputationRep:
    As above, draw the graph of \frac{x}{x+2}, note that its important features are that it has a horizontal asymptote y=1, a vertical one x=-2, passes through the origin, is only negative between -2 < x < 0, positive everywhere else, etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Draw y = x/(x-2) and apply the modulus to the graph.
    Gunna sound stupid but I'd rather know and sound stupid than not know and agree just to seem like I get it...

How do I go about drawing x/x+2?

If it's any consolation I've just been thrown into FP2 without having done C3/4 by my school
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Gunna sound stupid but I'd rather know and sound stupid than not know and agree just to seem like I get it...

If it's any consolation I've just been thrown into FP2 without having done C3/4 by my school
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    It would be worth studying modulus functions first, mainly how to draw them. It just takes any values - if the value is positive then the same value is returned. If it is negative then the negative of it is returned. Eg |10| = 10 and |-4| = 4, so if you're sketching a graph then reflect regions where y values are negative in the x axis.

Look at Zacken's post for starting off with x/x+2. These kind of fractions are as weird as it gets - otherwise the graphs shouldn't be too hard to sketch.

I often take points with nice x/y values eg x= 1, y= 1/3 x=4, y= 2/3 and get an idea of the shape like that (you'll remember the shapes of graphs from practice in time) and find vertical and horizontal asymptotes, test values to see the behaviour around the asymptotes.

Eg as x gets very large (test with calculator for x=10000 or whatever) x/(x+2) gets closer and closer to 1 but will never actually reach it. Apply similar logic to very negative values of x, or write y as (x+2-2)/(x+2), equivalent to 1 - (2/x+2)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    write y as (x+2-2)/(x+2), equivalent to 1 - (2/x+2)
    This is probably going to be the most helpful advice when trying to plot a function such as this.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Use www.desmos.com/calculator to experiment with the functions and easily check your answers for any asymptotes or modulus functions. It's what I did and came in really useful in getting comfortable with them.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    See what happens when the graph tends to positive and negative infinity, see how you would "break" the function, in this case when x=-2 as you cannot divide by 0 (its undefined)

Therefore you know the asymptote is at x=-2, and the graph tends toward y=1

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.