Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi guys,
    Does anyone know of a time when an exam board has admitted a mistake on a question and did something about it? If so what did they do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cool_guy769)
    hi guys,
    Does anyone know of a time when an exam board has admitted a mistake on a question and did something about it? If so what did they do?

yes, AQA ******ed up one of the gcse exams ( 2 yrs ago ) and they sent a note along with the exam package so that the teacher/exams office reads it out and then candidate corrects the script

apparently I heard that the edexcel had made a really hard history or geography exam for A2

ReputationRep:
    Yes they do. In Jan this year i took an exam in HSC and knew i did really well however when i got my result they have given me an E. I was not at all pleased and demanded a remark when i did i got my mark changed to a B. I couldnt believe it and they didnt even say sorry. Thats edexcel for you.

Not so much answering your question however it is still improtant that you know

ReputationRep:
    cheers guys, i just was wondering what they would do if they asked a question worth 40 out of 60 marks wrong and noone could answer it...

ReputationRep:
    then the grade boundaries lower quite considerably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaTTT)
    then the grade boundaries lower quite considerably
    But surely that wouldnt be enough, i think for that last question i have about 5 marks out of 40 so combined with the first question that would be like 20/60 which is normally a U. But on my other papers I have 90/90, 90/90, 108/120 and 78/90. Its gunna look a little odd if i get AAAAU

ReputationRep:
    But surely that wouldnt be enough, i think for that last question i have about 5 marks out of 40 so combined with the first question that would be like 20/60 which is normally a U. But on my other papers I have 90/90, 90/90, 108/120 and 78/90. Its gunna look a little odd if i get AAAAU
    They are very unlikely to ask a question with high marks that noone can answer (VERY).

ReputationRep:
    hi guys,
    They don't apologise nearly as much as they should.

ReputationRep:
    AQA messed up big time on Law A2 in Jan. The question was OTT. One college had a 80 pupils that failed (and they were one of the best ones). I got mine appealed..it went up 10 marks. though I stil did a re-sit in june

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1sk)
    They are very unlikely to ask a question with high marks that noone can answer (VERY).
    well read the comments about it on here noone could answer it, its not even on the syllabus or in the book that they quoted (I have a copy). Thus if the book they use doesnt even cover the topic how are me meant to answer it?

ReputationRep:
    the whole exam system messed up 2 years ago, when they introduced the AS level properly. they realised they were giving out too many A grades so tried to claw back the marks by setting the grade boundaries too high for some modules...it all blew up in the papers i seem to remember, but then people's scripts got remarked and it turned out okish

ReputationRep:
    Nearly every Geography paper comes with at least one error on it, which is spotted just in time, and corrections are sent to the examining centres, who read out the corrections for the students on the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meghan)
    Nearly every Geography paper comes with at least one error on it, which is spotted just in time, and corrections are sent to the examining centres, who read out the corrections for the students on the day.
    LOL yeah thats happened in nearly every geog paper i sat, a little worrying!

ReputationRep:
    hmm talking of mistakes, i just noticed after reading my paper that i got sent back to me, that they gave me ten marks less than what i actually got! cos teh UMS score was 90 and the paper was outa ninety! My teachers making enquirires but is doubtful they will change things(!) And this is for chem, when the grade boundaries went up really high and i got an E!!! for sixty something percent! even so, those ten marks make some difference....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *skye*)
    hmm talking of mistakes, i just noticed after reading my paper that i got sent back to me, that they gave me ten marks less than what i actually got! cos teh UMS score was 90 and the paper was outa ninety! My teachers making enquirires but is doubtful they will change things(!) And this is for chem, when the grade boundaries went up really high and i got an E!!! for sixty something percent! even so, those ten marks make some difference....
    thats annoying, your chem is marked out 90? that must be rock solid! i mean our physics was marked out of 90 ( two modules for the A2 ) but for AS they were out of 60 and scaled up to 90

chem in as was marked out of 60 and scaled up to 90

ReputationRep:
    Ok, it may look a little odd, but it's still going to do the business - lets say you got 40% in that paper - 36/90. It would mean you needed 78/120 (65% -a middle B) to secure your A. I know you're worried about the Unit 5 paper, but I think it's best just to think about this rationally. If you repeated your score in the big module last year (and got 108) you'd only need 6/90, so I wouldn't worry. I'm sure you'll get your A.

As for looking odd, one of my friends last year got 4As at AS and then 3As and a D at A2 - now that looks odd! she'd worked hard enough in the subject where she got a D. I don't know what she did about it, I don't think she cared - her 3As got her into her first-choice uni.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah in our AQA GCSE Systems there was one of those letters about a mistake, but it was in the Pneumatics section so it didn't apply to us

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.